Which formula to use?

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Alice24, May 5, 2012.

1. Alice24

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Given a load of 120 volts, connected to a circuit that controls the angel of ignition to a full wave. The circuit is connected to a net volt through a two-ways full wave rectifier. The circuit of ignition is aimed that the angel of ignition is 60 degrees. Use the given graph and FIND THE EFFECTIVE VOLTAGE ON THE LOAD.

(THE GRAPH)

[​IMG]

Answer:

I find that the RMS of the system is 200 Volts according to the graph. (since the conductance angel is 120 degrees)

Now to find the voltage on the load...I just use this formula, yes?

[​IMG]

2. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    It's hard to tell what you are working with or what you are trying to determine because some of the terms are not making it through the translation process very well.

Describe what you mean by "angle of ignition".

I'm going to make a wild guess here that you are working with a triac, namely something that doesn't conduct until you apply a signal to a gate and then it conducts from that point until the voltage across its main terminals crosses zero again (well, until the current in it falls below some minimum value).

3. Alice24

Apr 22, 2011
    Well, yes. the angel of ignition, a direct translation from hebrew, means the angel of which the TRIAC component is ignited and therefor starts working. The angel of ignition, and angel of conduction, must equal 180 for every wave.

4. Alice24

Apr 22, 2011
    Ah, nevermind, I got it. The chart automatically gives the value of the voltage on the circuit based on the angle...so in our case angle of 60 means Vrms of 200 V