Which diodes are On?

ENG99

Joined Feb 13, 2014
Hi,
In this pic I'm only sure about D1 which is ON and for D2 and D3 I'm not really sure about them! So, please help me out how can I determine whether if they are on or off and how?
thanks in advance.

ON or OFF.jpg

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Iterestingly enough my sim tells me that not all of them are ON. Sadly I don´t have the mental capability right now to figure out how to reliably come up with the result.

Edit: it seems there could be a bit of uncertainity coming from the assumed Vf of the diodes, which might turn D3 on as well. My sim seems to assume Vf of 0.56V at this sort of current with 1N4148 and states that D3 is off.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Ignore D2 and D3. Assume all diodes are perfect. Assume all diode's Vf are 0.6 V.

Loop current is 14.4 V / 30.2 K = 476.8 uA.

The node voltages are:

8.2K/12K = +5.49V. This is greater than 4.4 V, so D2 is off.

12K/10K = -0.232 V. This greater than -0.6 V, so D3 is off.

ak

ENG99

Joined Feb 13, 2014
Iterestingly enough my sim tells me that not all of them are ON. Sadly I don´t have the mental capability right now to figure out how to reliably come up with the result.

Edit: it seems there could be a bit of uncertainity coming from the assumed Vf of the diodes, which might turn D3 on as well. My sim seems to assume Vf of 0.56V at this sort of current with 1N4148 and states that D3 is off.
What about D2?

ENG99

Joined Feb 13, 2014
Ignore D2 and D3. Assume all diodes are perfect. Assume all diode's Vf are 0.6 V.

Loop current is 14.4 V / 30.2 K = 476.8 uA.

The node voltages are:

8.2K/12K = +5.49V. This is greater than 4.4 V, so D2 is off.

12K/10K = -0.232 V. This greater than -0.6 V, so D3 is off.

ak
Sorry but the answer isn't correct!

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Well isn't that special. You present an electrical puzzle and you leave out critical data. Then after several opinions are entered, you release the critical data at the same time you proclaim the winners and losers. Now where is that "Ignore" button I have been hearing about.

ENG99

Joined Feb 13, 2014
Well isn't that special. You present an electrical puzzle and you leave out critical data. Then after several opinions are entered, you release the critical data at the same time you proclaim the winners and losers. Now where is that "Ignore" button I have been hearing about.
This is NOT electrical puzzle this is example I found on google and I have been trying to solve it! And I shared it here so everyone can give me an idea how s/he got it. It's not my problem what do you think and how do you think! I asked question and I didn't write who is winner or loser YOU wrote it. And have fun with ignore button!