Which communication is best for underwater bots ?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Abhinav Himanshu, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Abhinav Himanshu

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 18, 2016
    I have been asked to design an underwater robot having pi and arduino in it . But since the bot is underwater so we are facing a problem on which communication board is best suited , we are designing the bot work at max 2 m depth , please suggest some communication board that we should use or anything else if possible . :):):D

2. hp1729

Nov 23, 2015
    Over what distance? Ultrasonic? Is cost a big factor? Sound (DTMF)? Is other wildlife going to be a problem (sharks, dolphins, whales)?

Abhinav Himanshu likes this.
  3. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    I guess the Navy likes sound for underwater communication. Not sure you have much bandwidth to work with however. You might be able to do 300 bits/sec with AFSK and a hydrophone.

4. Picbuster

Dec 2, 2013
    You are facing a world wide problem submerge 2mtr is not the problem it's the distance.
    Using low power ultra sonic does few hundred meter (15-20Khz depending salt/ temperature).
    However FSK modulating is a problem echo, Doppler and distortion plus a narrow band due to things mentioned above.
    All possible but it will take a lot of signal processing and I don't think that a standard board is available as yet.

5. Abhinav Himanshu

Feb 18, 2016
    max 3 m distance between transmitter receiver (assume both in water ).As cheap as possible. Wildlife , not a problem.

6. hp1729

Nov 23, 2015
    Wires not allowed?

7. Abhinav Himanshu

Feb 18, 2016
    ok , let say wires are allowed.Then which type of communication protocol is suitable , remember i am using raspberry pi , with bot control i even want to get video data from bot camera to my handheld controller , so what should i use.

8. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005