Which capacitor do I need?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by cazksboy, May 29, 2013.

1. cazksboy

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    I need a capacitor for the attached simple circuit - it's for motor direction reversal. The diagram says I need a .75-MFD, 330 VAC capacitor, but I can't seem to find one anywhere online. I know the problem is me, I'm sure they're available.
    I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I have forgotten what the "MFD" means - is that "microfarad"? Is that the same as "uf" (the "u" being the greek letter with the tail)? And what kind of capacitor - oil-filled, electrolytic, ceramic, or some other?
    Can anyone please indulge an idiot and post a link to a capacitor that will be appropriate for this circuit...???
    I have no problem finding the designated resistor, in case you were wondering.
    Thanks,
    Doug H.

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Plenty on Ebay.

0.75 microfarad(uF) is 750 nanofarads.(nF)

3. Gary_P

Apr 4, 2013
    Look at the WIMA pulse duty Polypropylene capacitor .68uf 630VDC/400VAC Mouser PN. 505-M10.68/630/10.

The value should be close enough for snubber duty.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
  5. Andreas

Jan 26, 2009
    MFD seems to be an older convention for large size caps. For your single phase motor it may possibly be a Metalized Polypropylene Film type. I just ordered a 5uF 450VAC (from Amazon of all places) to replace the burnt out one in my bread machine which is part of the motor start up cct.

6. cazksboy

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Thanks so much guys, I appreciate your help a lot.
    ...Doug