Which capacitor am I looking for

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Siniter Fister, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Siniter Fister

Thread Starter Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Im doing a little project at home, but im looking for something that will hold a charge and then release it as a whole and not on the same current that came in on.

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Can you supply more details on your application?

hgmjr

3. leftyretro

Nov 25, 2008
    Yes, more details about the source voltage and current and the load current requirements will be needed. Basically the source power impedeance determins how 'fast' a cap will charge to full source voltage, and the load impedeance will determine how 'fast' the capacitor's charge will be used.

Lefty

4. Siniter Fister

Thread Starter Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Well using a crystal for a power supply, the same kind that they use for crystal radios. And im just trying to store the power and make it greater even for just one second.

5. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    A crystal radio makes an extremely small amount of power.
    Why do you want to store an extremely small amount of power?

"Make it greater"? Then the power comes from a battery or power supply, not from the signal.

6. Siniter Fister

Thread Starter Member

Apr 25, 2009
    I want to keep storing the power so that it makes the power greater so i can send it as a greater power.

7. Siniter Fister

Thread Starter Member

Apr 25, 2009
    So...
    What im really looking for is something that will hold a charge till its is filled and then will release the current when its filled. But I need the current to be as strong as it is being released not as the same went in. Kind of like a battery but release all the charge at once.

8. Siniter Fister

Thread Starter Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Am I looking for a capacitor

9. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    Choose a capacitor with a working voltage of not less than twice the voltage you expect out of your crystal.

In other words, pick any old capacitor on the planet.

10. Siniter Fister

Thread Starter Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Okay? So... I'm looking for a capacitor from an old appliance? Should I just look at any old thing and take one out of it? Do I need to have any specific one?