Which bulb lights up first?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by RamaD, Jan 9, 2012.

1. RamaD

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Three bulbs are connected in series, and, a DC voltage is applied. Which bulb lights up first? Electrons move from -ve to positive, and, at speed of light, about a foot per ns.
    Simple question posed to me.

2. Lundwall_Paul

Oct 18, 2011
    Are they CFL bulbs in cold weather? If they are none will light.

3. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    A fraction of a ns will the ones closer to -ve "light up faster" or actually notice the current faster. If you take into account how long it takes for the filament to heat up, they start glowing at the same time.

4. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Actually the "effect" of electron movement is near the speed of light, but the electron movement is much slower. Since all of the electrons essentially move together along the series circuit, like boxcars on a train, all of the bulb filaments are exposed to the movement of electrons at the same time.
    http://amasci.com/miscon/speed.html

Ken

RamaD likes this.
  5. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
  6. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009

7. PaulEE

Dec 23, 2011
    I second that answer. I believe I saw this in an MIT opencourseware lecture video on circuits.

8. w2aew

Jan 3, 2012
    ...so the answer is - the bulb that has the highest cold filament resistance will likely light up first - because it will begin to dissipate the most power first, thus increasing the filament resistance more, thus beginning to starve the others of current. Of course, this assumes that all the filaments have the same thermal time constants, etc...

9. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    They are in series, so the hotter one starves others of voltage.