Which brand mc ?

bexerr

Joined Jan 11, 2012
Hi All,
I have a question regarding to choose a correct brand mc. Which microcontroller brand would you prefer to use for your project when all offer same standard? This is intented to be used for a wireless Zigbee project.
Thanks

bexerr

Joined Jan 11, 2012
thank you for your answer. the most important feature of this project is wireless feature so zigbee module. there re plenty of mc brand such as atmel, nxp , microchip, nxp, texas, xilinx,altera sony... etc. When you choose a mc brand you also choose mostly other electronic components from same brand for compatibility. So your microcontroller choice will affect all your project. therefor i m asking this

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Normally it is the other way around. You define what you need and choose the microcontroller according to that.

bexerr

Joined Jan 11, 2012
@kubeek therefor i m asking this actually. at the moment we dont need that much features but just zigbee. in the future we will sure need some extra components, for that reason need to choose correct technology
@shteii01 these are the some uC work with zigbee: atmel, nxp, microchip, texas ,xilinx,altera...

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I am pretty sure altera and xilinx dont make microcontrollers, they make programmable gate arrays.
Basically anything can interface with a zigbee. You need to provide much more information, like what exactly you want to send over the zigbee connection, how much computation that involves, and anything else that is relevant to the project.
Or just choose something and when you know what you need move to something else.

bexerr

Joined Jan 11, 2012
@bertus thank you for your suggestion basically i m trying to make a choice among mc brand.
@kubeek i ll connect a phototransistor as input to uC and send this over the zigbee to a zigbee/tcp-ip bridge.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
As well as an MCU, you are going to need some means of programming it, either a programmer or a system with a boot loader such as Arduino. Is this a one-off or a production run?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
@bertus thank you for your suggestion basically i m trying to make a choice among mc brand.
@kubeek i ll connect a phototransistor as input to uC and send this over the zigbee to a zigbee/tcp-ip bridge.
Phototransistor generally outputs current. Will your uC be able to accept current as input?
Phototransitor generally outputs current in mA. Will your uC be able to detect such low input?

bexerr

Joined Jan 11, 2012
@shteii01 Thanks for pointing me this. I'll use a comparator with an adjustable threshold to convert the analog voltage into a digital signal that can be read by the digital I/O line of a microcontroller.