Where to start learning

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I started writing up my list of suggested parts and beginning experiments until I browsed that link to the Radio Shack Electronics Learning Lab, and saw that it includes everything I was going to suggest, and more.

Go for it - get that lab and its lesson manuals, and work through them. You'll learn the basics, and you'll have an experimenter board that you'll use for years.
OP, if you do, indeed, end up getting this, the only thing you'll want to get in addition would be a multimeter.

inkyvoyd

Joined Dec 6, 2011
OP, if you do, indeed, end up getting this, the only thing you'll want to get in addition would be a multimeter.
This - I've looked at the item, and I want it pretty badly - but to be honest I am under severe financial restraints. (I probably will not be allowed to get anything with this kind of price before I get a job, which will be a few years.) I do genuinely have an interest in the logic components in circuits - but I'm afraid that I will not be allowed to study these - as my competition only encompasses more basic DC circuit theories - I'm a bit slow I guess, but I've realized that I need much more basic materials. I apologize for not putting this out earlier (this is an overview of rules, which I have not been able to find until now)
My main focus is really on DC circuit knowledge that does not include semiconductors, or inductors.

"a. The competition must consist of both handson tasks and questions related to DC electrical circuits. 50% of the score must be from the practical portion (hands-on tasks/applications), and 50% must be from the theoretical portion (written questions).
c. (omitted because I'm not sure I'm following copyright laws if I include too much)
i. DC circuits concepts, definitions, and principles (e.g.m voltage and current sources, EMF, resistance, applications of series and parallel circuits, voltage dividers, impedance matching)
ii. DC circuit analysis theory (e.g., Ohm's Law, parallel and series resistors, Kirchhoff's Laws, node and mesh analysis, Norton and Thevenin equivalents)
iii. DC circuit analysis practice (e.g., the use of voltmeters, ammeters, ohmmeters, and multimeters, resistor color codes and their uses in series and parallel circuits, wheatstone bridges)
iv. Intermediate DC, circuits concepts, definitions and principles (e.g., electrical SI base and derived units, capacitance, ideal diodes, electron current, RC circuits)
d. Topics that must not be included in the competition are: semiconductors, AC circuit theory and devices, inductors."

Again, I do realize I should've posted this in the beginning (and I really apologize for wasting all of our time).

I currently have a basic multimeter, and besides batteries are missing all sorts of materials (My teacher has supplied me with a college textbook on physics, but for actual supplies all she has that may be of use are ammeters). I sought assistance here because I desperately need materials - but I have no idea what I should purchase and from whom to do it from. If this does not belong in this section, please inform me and I will repost in a more appropriate error.

Thanks.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you are on a budget, the best way to start is to spend zero money.

Having a multimeter is a good start. Is this an analog meter (with a needle) or a digital meter with an LCD display?

Find some old electronics that people are throwing away. The older the better because newer electronics use surface mount devices (SMD) that are harder to experiment with.
You want to be able to salvage some resistors, capacitors, transistors, diodes, LEDs and battery clips and holders.

I just noticed today while I was observing some old 9v batteries. As a kid, rather than throwing away the battery, I would remove the top battery clip and use that as a 9v battery connector in a project.

Find a telephone installation person and scrounge the scarps of waste telephone cables. They make perfect single strand hookup wire for bread-boarding. Hang around some construction site and you will find lots of scrap wire and cable.

All you now need is a soldering iron and some solder.

For breadboard, find a piece of foam board, the kind they use for presentation displays. It is usually white cardboard with a layer of foam in the middle, about 3mm or 1/8" thick. Cut this up into the size you need for the project.

Here is my 555 timer and flashing LED project on a piece of foam board:

Last edited:

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Well, the learning lab has everything and more, so that after all is said and done, you have some more things to work with.

It is, however, a decent chunk of change and if you really can't/don't want to , then you can just get a breadboard along with some resistors and a DC power supply....

You may end up spending near this amount in parts just trying to get started as shipping and component costs add up.

If you are truly on a shoestring budget, go buy some resistors and a breadboard at your local electronics store and try to find a DC power supply to run everything off of...

inkyvoyd

Joined Dec 6, 2011
UPDATE: I have repeatedly pestered my parents, and they have agreed to give me a kit as a Christmas present. I have looked at the kit suggested in this forum, and also have seen another kit
as a practical suggestion, which would you suggest (as well as others if there's anything in mind, but I doubt I'd be able to get anything over 100 dollars)
http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-300-in...5101&sr=8-1&keywords=Electronics+Learning+Lab

http://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-28...5063&sr=8-3&keywords=Electronics+Learning+Lab

Also, looks like I need batteries x.x

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
No contest here. One is half the price of the other.
The kind of kit, components and projects you choose will depend on your age.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I think that I would go for the Radio Shack kit. I have never used either kit, but my guess is they are very similar, and as Mr. Chips said, the price is the deciding factor. In addition, I have read the books that are supplied with the RS kit, and they seem pretty good.

I know that your primary focus now is hands-on, and that's fine, but you also will have to study quite a lot of theory based on the info you posted on the Science Olympiad. I have a really good electronics textbook that I will give you if you want it. Because of your age, I don't want to know your address, but maybe we can figure out a way for me to send the book to you. Ask your parents what they think.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
This - I've looked at the item, and I want it pretty badly - but to be honest I am under severe financial restraints. (I probably will not be allowed to get anything with this kind of price before I get a job, which will be a few years.)
Thanks.
I have been working since I have been about 9 years old. I delivered papers, cut grass, painted, shoveled snow, pretty much every off job you can think of. A multimeter is only $5. You can probably build several projects for less than $100 total. If you were really interested, you would figure a way to earn the money for your hobby.

inkyvoyd

Joined Dec 6, 2011
Passive aggressive blah.
If you don't mind, I'm going to ignore you from now on. Please do not take offense.
You should read my posts in more detail if you want an understanding of the situation I'm in. And if you're so inclined, I'll tell you my story - I've left it out because I do not wish to bring off-topic things into this website.

I'm going to go ahead and see if I can purchase the 50$ radio shack kit. Thank you all very much for the guidance!

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
If you don't mind, I'm going to ignore you from now on. Please do not take offense.

I'm going to go ahead and see if I can purchase the 50$ radio shack kit. Thank you all very much for the guidance!
I guessing you are young but it is time to start growing up. You can afford to afford this hobby on your own. It is just that you don't want to. The sooner you learn to take personal responsibility the better off you will be.