Where to put potentiometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoopkid

Joined Mar 3, 2011
I am using disposable camera guts to produce 170v to power a nixie tube. Im using a 100kohm potentiometer(which i plan on replacing with a trimmer pot) to lower the voltage from whatever it is to my desired 170v. With such high voltage, should the pot specifically go on the anode or cathode of the transformer? or does it not matter?

Also just a side question, why would my multimeter read "1" when set to DCV 1000?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I don't intend to become a member of Instructables just to find out what you want to do. Doesn't the Instructables tell you how to hook it up?

This forum has a policy against providing advice on projects that may present shock hazards or other dangers. That Instructables begins with a warning that the project could cause lethal shock. That should be enough of a warning to someone not to attempt it unless s/he were experienced enough to take that risk. It does not appear you have that experience.

John

stoopkid

Joined Mar 3, 2011
You don't have to sign up to view it, I havn't.

And that seems like a silly policy. It isn't as if it would deter anyone from doing the things they want to do by withholding information, provided you're not taking their idea and introducing shock risk.

But if that's the case, nevermind then. Thanks.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
You don't have to sign up to view it, I havn't.

And that seems like a silly policy. It isn't as if it would deter anyone from doing the things they want to do by withholding information, provided you're not taking their idea and introducing shock risk.

But if that's the case, nevermind then. Thanks.
No one can stop someone from competing for Darwin awards. We are just trying to avoid getting a Stella award in the aftermath.

John

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
As this involves a lethal shock hazard we will have to close it.

As a note, the voltage is pretty unimportant, as long as the neon ionizes. A properly sized limiting resistor makes more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.