Where to purchase components

walcen

Joined Aug 6, 2009
Searching for enlightenment :D.

Hi all, I was going to buy a bunch of lm338k regs from E_Bay as they're a only a couple of $ each, but my local electronics store ( Jaycar electronics ) sell them for $16.95 each. This raises the question about quality or lack there of. Is my locale store a rip off or is the e-bay store selling sub standard components? Or, is an LM338 an LM338 is an LM338?

I'm greatfull for any advice.

kindest regards

Walt

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Take KJ6EAD's advice to heart.
Counterfeit parts are a huge problem nowadays. If you want to make certain that you are purchasing the genuine item, then check the component manufacturer's site, and buy only from the authorized distributors or factory representatives listed.

The counterfeiters have become so good at it, that it practically takes an expert to tell the difference between the real thing and a forgery. Until you connect it up, that is - and discover that either the performance won't meet manufacturer's specifications, or doesn't work at all.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
I'd follow the consensus here and avoid e-bay. They are a virtual black market for far more than electronic components, memory, DVD's, CD's.....etc. Some people may buy in bulk from a reputable distributor and then turn around and try to make a buck or two on e-bay, but unless they can show you the bill of sale, I'd avoid them. Some countries, I won't name any, but feel free to guess, are expert at plagiarism.

walcen

Joined Aug 6, 2009
All good advise thank guys, now I only need to find a reputable local Aus supplier that wont rip me off ;).

kindest regards

Walt