Where to get Transformer?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by wes, May 30, 2010.

1. wes

Thread Starter Active Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Ok so basicaly I was wondering does anyone know where or how to get a transformer that can operate at Extremely High Frequency's like 3 GHZ. I need to run a PWM (DC signal on-off-on-off etc )through it and the frequency's has to be atleast 3GHZ.
    I don't care about Effiency's. It could 20% and I wouldn't care, lol. preferably a large transformer (2 inches or so spacing between coil's.)

also It will be running at a voltage of about 2 volt's, so as long as the transformer can work at 2 volt's and 3GHZ then it is perfect.

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Here:
    http://www.minicircuits.com/products/transformers.html

These are RF transformers, not power transformers.

Unless you really know what you are doing, and have a lot of very expensive test equipment, you won't get far at those frequencies. Once you get into the GHz range, a small kink in a wire about this size: _n_ acts as an inductor. Even straight wire has an inductance of about 15nH per 10mm at 10MHz.

I can only guess that you're one of those HHO believers (I should say misinformed), and you're trying to go for over-unity.

Save your money, and do something productive instead.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  3. wes

Aug 24, 2007
  4. wes

Aug 24, 2007
    ok well would it be possible to use a big transformer like 2 foot wide transformer and power it with about 10 volt's or so. And power it at a frequency of maybe 100 megahertz or or 10 megahertz.

5. wes

Aug 24, 2007
    also the coils would be about 6 inch's in diameter for a 1 foot spacing between them

6. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    What are you trying to do? That may help us get you to a soultion.

In this thread you have gone from needing 3 GIGAHERTZ to 100 or 10 megahertz.

Which is it? What are you trying to achieve? There may be simpler ways to do what your trying. But, you wont know unless you tell us.

7. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    It's a 3.3GHz to 4GHz 50 Ohm impedance 1:1 ratio transformer in an SMT package.

It's an RF transformer in the frequency range that you are interested in. It is NOT a power transformer.

I don't know where you are getting your 2v 3GHz source from, but that transformer should handle it OK. Your problem will be making a suitable board to mount it on. At those frequencies, board design is very difficult.

8. wes

Aug 24, 2007
    I can't really say, sorry. Sgtwookie was sorta correct but the transformer isn't the actual overunity device. that would be the engine that is the real overunity and i just need to power it with the transformer.

may not work, but hey it's fun and learn alot working on it, lol.
    I also try not to spend to much money on it. kinda of a hobby really.

9. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Wow, this is like deja vu all over again.

Basically, the larger the transformer, the lower the operating frequency.

I don't know why you feel that you need a large-size transformer. There are plenty of those around; they operate in the 50Hz-60Hz range.

If you want higher frequency transformers, then you need to look at toroidal transformers.

We have no clue as to what you are trying to do.

10. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Ahh. gotcha.

Ok. good luck. And DONT GIVE ANYONE ANY MONEY!

Oh and 'real' and 'overunity' don't belong in the same book.

11. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    OK, thanks for confirming. The thread will be moved to the proper forum.

Don't spend any money on the idea. It won't work.

12. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    So far, in all of history, written and unwritten, there is only one thing that gets something from overunity devices. That is the scammers wallet.

It you see more voltage out then you put in, remember you have to check amperage.

any buck-boost or transformer can make someone think they turned 12v into 24v..because they have but they lost POWER in doing so..as heat.

Remember ohms law, and Thermodynamics and Conservation of energy.

13. wes

Aug 24, 2007
    Does anyone know how to calculate the coupling coefficient of two Coil's?

14. wes

Aug 24, 2007
    I have just one question and it is really important and that is how can i calculate the coupling coefficient of two coil's. Like what is the coupling coefficient of two at say 1 foot apart and then at 2 and then 3 and so on.

I just want to know basically how efficient a transformer would be with coil's of varying distances apart?

15. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  16. wes

Aug 24, 2007
    No problem.

17. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Read up on wireless battery chargers. The old (and new) electric toothbrushes use a primary coil on the base encapsulated in plastic to avoid water contact, and a secondary in the toothbrush handle, again encapsulated.

There has been a lot done with this technique, so you can probably find some info that way.

As for the strength of a magnetic field, it diminishes the instant you leave the surface. so the farther you put the secondary, you reduce your efficiency by MAGNITUDES.

Even if you had a 4 foot around primary, and a 1 foot secondary, one foot apart would loose 95% of efficiency compared to while touching.

The only way to compensate is to increase the current in the primary to convert the electricity into a larger magnetic field. But remember, you can NOT create something from nothing. Magnetic fields move in all directions so the amount of magnetic field that hits the secondary will be significantly reduced and your will have to create more heat with more current that in turn increases the resistance of the coil, than uses more power.

Physics is a cruel mistress. And she always wins. And when you try to cheat on her, she ALWAYS leaves you with less money that you started with.

Remember. If your design makes ANY heat, you are feeling your efficiency drop. The power you could be using, is being converted to heat.

Try to invent a log that you can light on fire, and it never needs replacing.

Now that will solve some world problems without flooding everyone with electromagnetic radiation.

18. wes

Aug 24, 2007
    How did you calculate the effiency or was it just more of a guess

19. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Well, heat increases resistance, which in turn creates more heat.

Its called thermal runaway. If you want to see it in action, switch on an incandescent light bulb. When the current hits the filament, there is very little resistance at first. As the filament heats up, the resistance goes up and then the heat increases more, more resistance....

And it does that until the filament glows brightly and produces light.

So the wires in your transformer will work the same way. But, the transformer is not in a vacuum or argon. So it just catches fire or melts a solder joint rendering it useless.

20. willis4ril

Jun 6, 2010
    Guys i was given a project to design a 220/110v 50hz 600va 50v tapping transformer but i was not given the number of turns for the primary i really need your help :) Please PM me

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010