where to buy modern small factor displays?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by pedro.duarte.pt, Apr 11, 2013.

1. pedro.duarte.pt

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 11, 2013

I'm new here, I tried to search for the this in the forum but didnt find anything so here it goes.

I am designing a small device that requires color display (as thin as possible). Anyway I went to farnell and digikey and still cant find anything cheap or specially there.. everything is too standard and outdated.

In an era of smartphones and tablets this area must be more easy to explore and still I dont know how to find a nice OLED display or any other display for that matter that would make my project look like a state-of-the-art piece of technology.

So, do you know where i can find and order color displays that are actually modern, thin, low consumption? I was looking for flexible displays such as those you can find on concept cellphones but i guess dispite being already invented for almost 7 years, but are still not availlable for hobbists... Or are they? I dont know!! :)

Please how do you search for displays for your projects?
  2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Hello Pedro, welcome to the forums.

I would believe your thread didn't get the love as no one here really has a good source for these things. Yes you can get some to use but the display you might find in a $15 Go-Phone may wind up costing you twice that for just the display! And then when you find one you like it goes out of production just as your product goes into production.

I use display products I've that start from Microelectronica, but they don't make them, they just offer them for a price I can live with.

I've seen some here too but don't used the place.

If I wanted some for production I just might start on EBay and see if I can work my way into a direct contact with a distributor. I've done that with two PCB houses, meaning I have their direct email and can place orders outside the EBay system. (It's still safe for me, they get paid thru PayPal.)
  3. pedro.duarte.pt

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Thx a lot :)

Apparently it is a known problem then :)
    Thank you very much for your help. I'll be sure to check those sites.
  4. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Flexible displays are not readily available for personal use.

What you can get easily is thin TFT displays, normally 3mm or something like that.

For instance 1.8 inch, serial interface, 3V.
    You need 32K FLASH for these, more if you use larger bitmaps.
    And at least 1K RAM, better more.
  5. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
  6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009