Where to buy a certain type of transformer?

mahmoud899

Joined Mar 14, 2013
Hello, I am looking for a small step down transformer, which intakes 230VAC and outputs 24VAC. The important thing is that I want the transformer to be as small as possible, I have attached a picture of the size of the transformer that I want to buy. The question is where can I buy one from? please supply me with websites.

Thank You

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I assume you are talking about line powered transformers. Chances are most of those small transformers shown are for switching power supplies, which operate at a much higher frequency. The amount of iron required for a line powered transformer generally makes them larger than that (iron required is roughly inversely proportional to operating frequency). So you might consider a line powered switching regulator if you must keep the transformer size small.

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
"small step down transformer"

Small means low power. You didn't specify power.
"Small" is relative. You didn't include dimensions.
Buy exactly what you want from a store or dealer. Most have web sites.

Sorry if my response wasn't any more helpful then your question but....

charliewilde

Joined Mar 13, 2013
There are many kind of transformer and it is contains of different purposes. Transformer are important to the big power grid it also responsible for transmitting power voltage. However,there are many small types of transformer, can you be specify which one you need?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
As stated by others, the transformers in your photo are mostly ferrite core.

For line frequency of 50 or 60Hz, Iron laminated cores are used. This makes them very heavy and rather large.

Specifications need current or VA (Volt-Amps) in addition to voltage/turns ratio.

To use the physically smaller transformers, you'll need a switching power supply to increase the frequency. Direct line SMPS are a non-trivial design task, relative to the "standard" iron core transformers.

K3CFC

Joined Dec 4, 2012
Too bad you didn't include something like a ruler in your picture so we could gauge the real size of what you are looking for. Try Mouser or Digikey in their transformer section. They list Input voltage, output voltage, output current and physical size.

Go here..... http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...GAEpiMZZMuNt0P7FPKugrm16wwfqGrV%2bKGj74/bUNk=

and click on the "datasheet" link, for an example.
These kind of transformers are found in flat screen tv's google jestine yong and get his email addy and ask him. he has helped me in the past.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Assuming you only need one, You can also go to a junk store and but an old clock radio, clock or digital thermometer type of junk. Take it home and start desoldering. Cheaper than any reasonable transformer from mouser.