Where the working poor like me can find discarded components and maybe money to buy a loaf of bread

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
If some of you who work like hell but haven't the money after bills to buy what you need and yet want to further your electronic ideas like me but cannot afford to get wire and components then here is a little idea for you. We all know places around us in which illegal dumping takes place unfortunately. Or perhaps fortunately for the likes of me. I spent about 45 minutes collecting this stuff today from one of those dump sites and enjoyed the walk and fresh air as well. This is some of what I found with more in the garage to check out tomorrow. I may even be able to recycle some of it for food and what not so it was a win win situation in my life however you look at it.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
One man's junk... :D

FWIW The part you indicated interest in (at 2:50) appears to be a duplexer...

Note that when found outside of components, Au, due to its comparative chemical 'inertness', is often superficially plated onto contacts (e.g. edge-card connectors, ribbon connectors, relays, various manual switches, etc...) --- Ag, on the other hand, is seldom used on contacts (roller inductors being a notable exception) owing to its liability to tarnish (i.e. sulphide) formation -- look for Ag on high-Q RF inductors, leads of strip-line components and conductors requisite of especially low resistance...

Best regards and good 'hunting'!!! :cool::cool::cool:
HP:)

Last edited:

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
One man's junk... :D

FWIW The part you indicated interest in (at 2:50) appears to be a duplexer...

Note that when found outside of components, Au, due to its comparative chemical 'inertness', is often superficially plated onto contacts (e.g. edge-card connectors, ribbon connectors, relays, various manual switches, etc...) --- Ag, on the other hand, is seldom used on contacts (roller inductors being a notable exception) owing to its liability to tarnish (i.e. sulphide) formation -- look for Ag on high-Q RF inductors, leads of strip-line components and conductors requisite of especially low resistance...

Best regards and good 'hunting'!!! :cool::cool::cool:
HP:)
Thanks for the always informative input HP! Very much appreciated!!! :)

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I've burned off 68ec020 CPUs from PCB cuts and resold them.

But its not easy you need a small gas burner just heat the PCB enough the solder melts, then check the tiny pins.

If you can sell the metals locally other wise the shipping is too expensive and you need some 100 kilograms or its not worth it.
Most goes to Ghana and China, or regular recycle facilities.

Illegal dump will probably be rotting for a decade or more.

Nobody wants/needs used SMD parts but larger foil capacitors can be sold if you have loads of them.

Actually a kilogram old parts could be $20 or so (unused parts).

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
I've burned off 68ec020 CPUs from PCB cuts and resold them.

But its not easy you need a small gas burner just heat the PCB enough the solder melts, then check the tiny pins.

If you can sell the metals locally other wise the shipping is too expensive and you need some 100 kilograms or its not worth it.
Most goes to Ghana and China, or regular recycle facilities.

Illegal dump will probably be rotting for a decade or more.

Nobody wants/needs used SMD parts but larger foil capacitors can be sold if you have loads of them.

Actually a kilogram old parts could be $20 or so (unused parts).
Thanks for the response and the information Takao!

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
I do most of my Picking in the early morning hours, on Trash Day.
That way, pesky old ladies aren't out, and I get to take my time.
A good flashlight is a must.

Most of the guys who pick for the scrap metal don't come every week, so I usually have 2-3 weeks a month with little or no competition.

I could write a book on some of the amazing finds, and many of them are repairable, then sellable.

I made friends with a guy who runs a local re-sale shop, and he sells a lot of the stuff for me, and he keeps 30%.

It's a great hobby tha almost pays for itself.

Good hunting!

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
I do most of my Picking in the early morning hours, on Trash Day.
That way, pesky old ladies aren't out, and I get to take my time.
A good flashlight is a must.

Most of the guys who pick for the scrap metal don't come every week, so I usually have 2-3 weeks a month with little or no competition.

I could write a book on some of the amazing finds, and many of them are repairable, then sellable.

I made friends with a guy who runs a local re-sale shop, and he sells a lot of the stuff for me, and he keeps 30%.

It's a great hobby tha almost pays for itself.

Good hunting!
Sorry I didn't see your reply earlier but thanks for the input Gdrumm! :cool: