Where & how to block DC?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by atferrari, Feb 18, 2012.

1. atferrari

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    My design of a DDS finally works OK but I want AC at the output. Block diagram attached.

My questions:

What is the correct place to get rid of the DC level?

A cap alone, is it the right way? If so, thinking of an output of 5Hz to 16 KHz what would be the right value?

Right now I have available non-polarized caps of 2uF and little space to parallel some.

What if I resort to an electrolytic or tantalum? How to know where the "+" terminal goes to?

Gracias for any help.

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Remember that in any circuit there will be some R. So you have to take this into account and calculate the roll-off frequency:

f = \frac{1}{2\pi RC}

It is best to use non-polarized capacitors. If all you have are low value aluminum electrolytics, these are ok to use. At low voltages I would not worry too much about polarity but you can use a DC voltmeter across the cap in circuit and figure out which end is more positive.

3. atferrari

Jan 6, 2004
    Thanks for replying.

The pot already at point (C) is 10K. I think I could use it with a cap in series between the buffer and the amplitude control stage. Am I right?

What is the roll off frequency I have to look for? I am at lost here.

4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    If you had a total series resistance of 10K in series with 2uF that would give you a roll off at about 8Hz.

5. atferrari

Jan 6, 2004
    After revising my options I came to the attached circuit.

1uF and 100K seem to work OK.

In way of recalculating the filter (with higher fc) to have the last KHz unattenuated.

Gracias for replying.