Where can I get electrical steel?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by strantor, Jul 19, 2015.

1. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Grain-oriented electrical steel, aka lamination steel, aka transformer iron, aka a lot of things. Where can I get it in small amounts? Every place I found that sells it, looks like the kind of outfit that only sells it if you sign a contract to order a truckload per week. Is there no online storefront that sells it with criminally high markup to garage inventor? I found some possibly promising results on alibaba but that website scares me.

I need a long strip roll, like the kind you would use to make toroidal transformers. Hell, even E-I laminations would be nice.

any leads?

2. markdem

Jul 31, 2013
    At the risk of "hijacking" this thread, why do so many supliers insist on only selling to customers that need "a truckload per week"!! I have had this issue 2 times this week with different parts and it is starting to get on my nerves.
    If you want a crappy iPhone, no problem. At least 9 shops in the local mall here.. If you are looking for a 5/8 acme screw, good luck finding one in the state....

Sorry. Needed to vent before I blow a gasket (another thing I could not by unless I get 4 square meters ).

Mark

3. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Can you salvage some from an old tranny? Perhaps cook the core to burn off any varnish sticking the lams together?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    No help here. Even when I worked at a power supply company (1974), the owner would mysteriously show up with the EI steel for each job and never let anyone find out where he got it. o_O

Besides him, I ran the place, and I couldn't find out!

cmartinez and strantor like this.
  5. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Obsolescent 'standard' BCB modulation transformers are an excellent, modestly priced, source of said material -- I yet see several of these each 'season' at various electronics flea-markets (A.K.A. 'Hamfests, 'Swapmeets', etc...) I suggest, for instance, that you check out Dayton --- Be advised, also, that inasmuch as nobody wants to haul the 200+ lbs 'anchors' back home - the later the 'hour' the better the price!:D

Such is readily obtained from discarded (or liquidated) 'power conditioners' containing toroidal isolation transformers --- In my experience a good contact in this regard is the appropriate staff of large hospitals...

Best regards and good luck
    HP:)

#12 and strantor like this.
  6. DNA Robotics

Jun 13, 2014
  7. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    I think you missed the point of the question. He needs, grain Oriented electrical Steel (GOES), a silicon-steel alloy. Simple steel from a cut-to-order shop won't work - unless I didn't see GOES in one of those sites.

8. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    That gives rise to a lot of (maybe unwarranted) concern about affecting the grain-orientation hex placed on the laminations. How hot do you have to get to melt varnish? How hot is hot enough to undo the arcane annealing/grain orientation process?

9. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Well, that's inspiring. ass. :p

#12 likes this.
  10. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    One word: 'solvents':)

strantor likes this.
  11. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Maybe you're right, but my suspicion is that more than one word is required, like :"solvents capable of wicking through the cunthair-thick layers of varnish between the laminations..."

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  13. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    @#12 I'm not even going to quote that. I don't want those buzzwords attached to my online identity. But anyway, thanks for turning a harmless questions about grain oriented steel into a NSA viper pit. again, ass. :p

#12 likes this.
  14. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    My experience with ketone solvents has been quite favorable in this regard...

Best regards
    HP

strantor likes this.
  15. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    30-year-old transformers used varnishes that could be dissolved by alcohol or acetone but modern transformers are coated in polyester (cheap) and epoxy (better). Epoxy is not soluble in solvents after curing. Polyesters, if cross linked, can be essentially insoluble. You might be able to thermally oxidize (burn) it off.

Some thin plate motors and transformers are coated with nano meter thickness of oxides (MgO usually) and then stacked. The outside us then epoxy coated to prevent oxidation.

strantor likes this.
  16. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    @#12 --- Oh yes! -- I yet recall the glares received when I inquired after the "largest [canner] in stock" of a 'big-box' retailer...
    For the record, my requirement for said 'convenience' centered about construction of a vacuum chamber for oil-potting of EHT transformers... --- Paranoia:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

#12 likes this.
  17. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Actually, I find that cured epoxies are effectively degraded by acetone (i.e. the 'binder' is dissolved while the 'filler' is precipitated as 'dust')... That said, the process tends to be 'slower' than one would prefer...

EDIT: It occurs to me that my use of the terms 'binder' and 'filler' may not be technically accurate -- Hence I'll say, rather, that "something" dissolves and "something" is precipitated:cool:

Best regards
    HP

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Now you know one reason I am so careful about allowing my moniker to be associated with my real name or physical address. Still, I don't expect that to stop Our Government from protecting me to death.
    The front door is unlocked!

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Unfortunately, the gasket is usually configured to protect ONLY against positive pressure. You might find that thwarts your efforts to inflict a vacuum on a pressure cooker.

20. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    That was my first lesson!:oops: Two 'micron-gauges' and five gallons of Shell Diala later I resorted to a 'hand cut' gasket and a 5cm thick polycarbonate slab (as a lid) -- It's live and learn:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Best regards
    HP

#12 likes this.