Where can i find this kind of transformer?

ajrenzetti

Joined Dec 20, 2010
I will be rebuilding my induction heater soon to be more efficient, however this time I want to use an isolating transformer to power this thing rather than a variac, since they technically dont isolate from mains. I've been looking all over the web for a transformer that is neither too expensive nor too bulky with an input of 115VAC and out put anywhere from 115VAC to 600VAC @ 1500-2000W. I know this is very dangerous electrical power I am asking for, but i would rather have this and NOT be forced to build a tranformer-less psu, as induction heaters tend to draw a lot of power really fast, making drawing from mains directly extremely dangerous.

So, is there anywhere online that you may know of where i can buy an isolating transformer (not a variac) that can output around the same as AC mains (1500-2000W) with the same or higher (up to 600V) voltage as the 115VAC mains? Is there a specific term i should be looking up for this type of transformer? I searched isolation transformer, but the only higher powered ones were 500W and very, very bulky. I simply want to isolate the mains, and if possible up the voltage, without lowering the output voltage and keeping the output power at 1500-2000W.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You are not going to find a 'Compact' 2kva transformer, it relies on its core size to operate at that power level.
What I have done in the past is to use a 600v pri with 120v sec transformer connected in reverse.
Max.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
AFAIK induction heaters usually have an isolation transformer between the last power stage and the LC tank. Since it is running at high frequency it can be quite small.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
AFAIK induction heaters usually have an isolation transformer between the last power stage and the LC tank. Since it is running at high frequency it can be quite small.
The would be in the RF stage, The OP appears to need Mains Galvanic isolation and step up with its secondary ?
Max.