When should you create a new post

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by KLillie, Aug 9, 2014.

1. KLillie

Thread Starter Member

May 31, 2014
    So I posted my oscillator in projects heading. It is working! But then I had problems amplifying the signal. I got some help on that. Now that I'm progressing to a different stage, I'm fearful that if I keep adding to the same post I will slowly lose the help I am getting. What are your thoughts. Should I continue on the same post or start a new one?

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Continue on the same one unless the new challenge is a clear side issue that can and should be handled separately. Having the context of the larger project is usually very helpful.

But if, for instance, your project is done but now you need help with a battery charger for it, it might make sense to start a new thread about your battery charger.

KLillie likes this.
  3. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    This could apply or not to your case:

The way I see this, thinking of future searches, (very) long threads serve no purpose to other than the OP. Wading through many non-related post to find the gem you are looking for is a dubious benefit, eventually misleading and discouraging (more or less like using a 40 minutes video as a reference to any subject. Easy browsing is the point.

Had I to do as you propose, I would start a new one, with a link to the mother post.

I do not know your age or how frequently you search. In my life I have read, IIRC, just two long threads in full. One is in the Microchip forum, about implementing USB with PICs. Higly reccomended in my opinion because the main point stays along the so many post (and they are many).

The other, I forgot already.

KLillie likes this.
  4. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    ^- I agree. When I'm browsing thru the forums, I see a thread that's gone on for pages and pages, I don't even bother to read it. Of course, as soon as you start a new thread, the mods will complain that you already have a thread, and close down the new one.

J/K, they won't really do that. :)

KLillie likes this.
  5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    My previous answer may look like it, but I don't disagree with the last two posts. Good stuff can get buried and lost in a long thread. A good thread should stick to a limited set of goals or questions, or even just one.

It's all about context; pose a clear question with enough information for someone to have a chance at a good answer. I'll bet almost half the posts here are simply to request more information from the OP.

KLillie likes this.
  6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

You can always split-up your projects into several threads.
    (if you do not want to have endless threads).
    You can always give a link to what the thread it is related.

Bertus

7. KLillie

Thread Starter Member

May 31, 2014
    Well, I'll give my initial post another shot, then I'll probably start a new one. Thank you for your thoughtful answers.

8. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Yes, it is true.