when in a PC I save a file, then automatically saved and to HOME SERVER

lse123

Joined Oct 17, 2006
In a HOME SERVER may configure PCs Connected to it(one or all or some), when in a PC I save a file, then automatically saved and to HOME SERVER?

If yes, what this is called? files will go via
PC->NIC->RJ45->DSLMODEM->SERVER ?

or needed USB Connection server-mainPC absolutelly?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You want to save the work done on one PC on a different machine on the network?

If so, you need to share the drive you want to read and write to. And be sure to give permissions to the users who can access the server or any other machine to save and read data.

lse123

Joined Oct 17, 2006
a)I want also DATA saved on both home server and main Pc ... is requred usb or rj45 is ok? CAN I?

b)I must give server's different folders permissions like:
1. only read/write locally by main pc
2. only read/write locally by Lan
3. read from internet
4. read/WRITE from internet UNDER PASSWORD
THESE ARE TYPICAL...?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You could use a VPN connection to "mount" the homeserver disk.
There is only one problem with the internet.
When a port is open to the "outside" it can be detected and possibly broken into.

Bertus

lse123

Joined Oct 17, 2006
you say
You could use a VPN connection to "mount" the homeserver disk.
I speak (prior post), for saving a file in desktop PC automatically saved AND TO THE Home server (totally to both) well NOT remotelly, NOT internet in the middle but LAN, how I can do this and through what connectors, may I?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
If all the PCs are on the same LAN, There should be no problem. You can have a V: drive on the server as a networked drive. When you are on another PC, when you set up the save, you save to the V: drive. This will put the file on the servers networked drive, for all to access.

You are saying automatically.. Are you talking about a BACKUP? Where if you save 'hello.doc' on your workstation, it saves on your computer AND a copy on the server?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Why would you want to save the file on both machines?

You ONLY need to save it on the servers networked drive.

That way you can access it from any computer on the network. When ever you want.

If you want a backup, Set up a folder that copys the whole folder to the server drive every 2 hours or so.

You can set up a CRON job to run every 2 hours that backs up the folder you want on both machines.