When did things change here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
When did it become OK to make threats to other members of the forum? In this now closed thread; http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=83446&page=9 Post #85, a member made open threats against any member that didn't go along with him and his friends.

He claims not to be a formerly banned member, but that type of thing is what got that member banned.

How/why do people come to a electronics learning site and not ask or respond to even one electronics question? Is AAC becoming a site known for accepting this type of behavior,,,,?
Regard those or that person behind this. As an irritating fly buzzing around. And harmless as fly also. They completely lost me from day one with their techno rants. And I suspect they also in some way have lost their mind to. Much like the way stubborn HHO nuts have lost it. The hunt for overunity has become a religion for them.
And I certainly do not think it is Gatsby. Gatsby had a completely different style of writing. But as an AAC conspiracy theory it is quite amusing:D

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
*Regardless of SplitInfinity's behaviour, the AAC community didn't handle the matter with integrity and calm mind, in my opinion. Instead, empathy and anger caused from JayGatsby was vented towards him.

More like we've put in the time and effort to become compteant at technical issues, and have no respect for pretenders. I respect those who are here to learn and those who are here to teach. Pretenders are a distraction to the purpose of members trying to make this a great community.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Sorry Geo, usually you and I are on the same page, but I'll have to disagree this time.

Some things to consider:

*The Offtopic subforum doesn't require members to showcase scientific subjects exclusively. Everyone is free to post anything they want here, as long as it doesn't cross the ToS or promotes pseydoscience. It's a hangout, that's all it is. Not a place to put our intellects to the test.
Almost everything they discussed here seemed to be psudoscience in one form or another. They are not helping the community in any way, nor are they trying to have logical discussions with the regular members. They're simply bragging among themselves, trying to make the rest of us feel inferior. They even made threats in at least one thread (which was the purpose for this thread in the first place). If that's not breaking the rules, I don't know what is.

*You don't necessarily have to get your knickers in a twist because someone is wrong in the internet.
Being right or wrong isn't important here. That's why my last post says "it doesn't matter who they are". They have still crossed the line in my book, several times.

*AAC is a place most of you frequent daily, but is not your territory.
While this is a good point, people should still be able to feel comfortable here, without worrying about rambling fools insulting or threatening them.

*Regardless of SplitInfinity's behaviour, the AAC community didn't handle the matter with integrity and calm mind, in my opinion. Instead, empathy and anger caused from JayGatsby was vented towards him.
I'm with Brownout on this one, for the most part. They are disrupting the legitimate discussions on this forum. They're dragging their cocky attitudes and bragging behavior into other peoples' threads. They're intentionally trying to make themselves look superior (though we all know it's not working ;)) which is an insult to the members here who actually know what they're doing and what they're talking about. It has nothing to do with JayGatsby, at least for me.

I understand that you, as a moderator, need to go by the book. You all are very good at that here. Sometimes too good. It is important to read between the lines, and the thread linked to in the first post of this one is a good example.

This is my last post on this thread, as I trust you all to make the right decision. I just ask that you take everything into consideration first.

Matt

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Some things to consider:

*The Offtopic subforum doesn't require members to showcase scientific subjects exclusively. Everyone is free to post anything they want here, as long as it doesn't cross the ToS or promotes pseydoscience. It's a hangout, that's all it is. Not a place to put our intellects to the test.
So using AAC to promote a link to psedoscience is OK, just not discussing it on the site. Do you think that when someone does a search for "Townsend Brown" it won't show the link to AAC?

*You don't necessarily have to get your knickers in a twist because someone is wrong in the internet.
But you also shouldn't ignore it in the community. This is part of the reason that the internet is going downhill.

But AAC is the best electronics site on the net. Do you think that it would have this much credibility if only that type of person was the only one posting?

^^ Not arguing with you Geo just asking.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
So using AAC to promote a link to psedoscience is OK, just not discussing it on the site. Do you think that when someone does a search for "Townsend Brown" it won't show the link to AAC?
I don't think it is necessary, or even feasible, to isolate AAC from the rest of the internet. Inevitably, notions of pseudoscience will me mentioned here, even if only to condemn them in the end.

But AAC is the best electronics site on the net. Do you think that it would have this much credibility if only that type of person was the only one posting?
I don't see how the two sentences relate, so I 'll answer as if only the second existed:
AAC is credible because it provides the prerequisites for sound discussion and a well based dialectic between lecturers of equal standing. This is what I believe.
As for the Offtopic, I think things are slightly different, where fun and small talk is given higher priority.
Everything else stems from these foundations.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showpost.php?p=600194&postcount=97

I posted a rant here. It may be time to tighten up the rules about flames and zingers. I would expect the old hands to understand, the new comers won't, so they will be the first to go.

Just keep reporting offensive posts. Please. Do not engage trolls.

I would like to spend more time in the electronic chat area and projects forum myself. At the moment this is not working.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I've been reflecting on terrorism lately and drawn a parallel. The point of terrorism is to get people to change in some way, out of fear. I would call the recent episode of posts "Passive Aggressive Harmless Online Pseudo-Terrorism." The point of it all is to get us to change in some way, out of annoyance. And so far it's working, as evidenced by this thread.
This site is getting rediculous. Maybe getting time for this old engineer to move on.
Do not let PAHOPT win, please, stay. If you leave, you are letting it win.

I have seen other members giving in to it as well. People changing their behavior and getting bent out of shape. You are playing into the hand, stop.

If the mods' hands really are bound by a code to not do what obviously needs to be done, then it is incumbent upon us as forum members to maintain the order and sanity of the forum by completely ignoring the disorderly and insane terrorists.

In short, DON'T FEED THE TROLL(S). They (he) will get hungry and go elsewhere.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I wish I could get ahold of who was it JayGasby? and tell him how paranoid people are of him.
Took me awhile, but I figured out what paranoid would look like.:D

All these recently fictitious people are the invention of Maxpower and Loosewire. The purpose is to make them look less obnoxious in comparison.

Now, THAT is paranoid!:D

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Is not this single case. Blown somewhat out of proportion. Yes the comment that caused this was dumb, futile, pubertal and uncalled for. But the threat level was minor. The trio or person behind it. Will sooner or later be banned. They are not here to contribute but to evangelise for their own cause. I suggest put all three of them on your ignore list meanwhile

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Mikado, I realize you are new here, so I feel I should warn you of a few things.

1) The moderators here are the toughest I've ever met. They look out for their own, and anyone who threatens to disrupt the flow of the forum will not last long.

2) Making multiple posts in a row is a form of spamming, and spamming is not tolerated here.

3) The members here are much more experienced and knowledgeable than you seem to realize. Theirs is the voice of reason. That's more than I can say for you and your little friends, SI and Pladium. I suggest you think twice before arguing with their professional evaluations, and think several times before insulting them. Insulting and flaming is strictly prohibited here on the forum. Again, keep it up and you won't last long.

4) If you make a fool of yourself, people will point it out. If you say something stupid, it will be addressed. If you make yourself look like an idiot, people will disagree with you and present the facts. If you do all three of these things by arguing with and insulting the people who actually know what they're talking about, you'll be booted out the door. It's that simple.

You don't have to accept my opinions as your own, but you can't change the facts. Someone's signature here says "Facts just don't care if you ignore them." That is a truth that you really ought to learn, and fast.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Guys, the moderating staff has an active discussion going on right now.

For the new folks, posting in the Off Topic and Abstract Forums is not contributing to the site.

Our focus is electronics, nothing more. The rest exists as a convenience to our members. Most of the established members spend most of their time in the electronics forums, helping beginners and old hands alike, this is what contributing here is about.

If the Off Topic and Abstract Forums were to disappear tomorrow I would not miss them much. Indeed, I am spending way too much time plowing through the excess there. This take valuable time away for the real reason I joined this site, my passion is electronics.

It has been mentioned our reputation will suffer because we are not friendly. The tail does not wag this dog, we are friendly to people wanting to learn electronics, or have questions for issues with electronics they don't understand. It goes back to where our true focus should be, and lately isn't.

Our core membership are experts. Electronics is a big field, one person can not know everything, so we rely on people who know what they are talking about. Pretenders show up pretty quickly as fakes.

The moderators in particular have a pretty deep understanding on the subject of electronics.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Guys, the moderating staff has an active discussion going on right now.

For the new folks, posting in the Off Topic and Abstract Forums is not contributing to the site.

Our focus is electronics, nothing more. The rest exists as a convenience to our members. Most of the established members spend most of their time in the electronics forums, helping beginners and old hands alike, this is what contributing here is about.

If the Off Topic and Abstract Forums were to disappear tomorrow I would not miss them much. Indeed, I am spending way too much time plowing through the excess there. This take valuable time away for the real reason I joined this site, my passion is electronics.

It has been mentioned our reputation will suffer because we are not friendly. The tail does not wag this dog, we are friendly to people wanting to learn electronics, or have questions for issues with electronics they don't understand. It goes back to where our true focus should be, and lately isn't.

Our core membership are experts. Electronics is a big field, one person can not know everything, so we rely on people who know what they are talking about. Pretenders show up pretty quickly as fakes.

The moderators in particular have a pretty deep understanding on the subject of electronics.
Thank you Bill. I will stop my arguments, in case you need to clean up the garbage later. I won't be a part of it.

Thanks to all you moderators for your work. Good luck to you!

Best wishes,
Matt

Mikado

Joined Apr 14, 2013
And a profile is any more creditable than a post?

In the time I've been on this forum, this has only happened with four people; Jaygatsby, Split Endz, Plaid and you. And all in a period of a month or two. The worst thing you and Plaid could ever have done is admitting your part of the Split Endz group of friends. That is if you are not all the same person.
A profile is at least something. By reading the profile, one could ask questions who may have knowledge in the areas stated within the profile. To discount it as being false from the get go is not being open minded.

I came here and said hello to Split, that is correct. He was the one who "vouched" for me and I don't know why he did that for on two other forums, we went at it pretty hot and heavy.

As to being or not being the same person, I could say that about several I have seen here.

Nothing stagnates the mind then to come to conclusions without having data.

This is an electronics forum. When checking out a circuit, device etc, one must follow a rudimentary procedure to diagnose a fault. From what I have seen so far is that all those negative entities must go through quite a few components in guessing they are faulty.

Mikado

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Again, people do not vouch for each other. It becomes obvious real fast what your true credentials are. And you are judged by your posts in the electronics forums, which is the true core of this site. If you do not participate there then you have missed the point of why we exist.

Mikado

Joined Apr 14, 2013
Again, people do not vouch for each other. It becomes obvious real fast what your true credentials are. And you are judged by your posts in the electronics forums, which is the true core of this site. If you do not participate there then you have missed the point of why we exist.
I have not missed the point of this forum. However, I haven't really posted too much and when I did start to, I am accused of being someone else and told not to argue.

I will post if and when I see something I wish to partake in but just to "willy nilly" post is not constructive in my frame of reference. I saw one post in regard to inductance in a primary of a xformer and then referred to as reactance, they are not the same as you well know but it was handled and straightened on subsequent posts.

I have been reading when time affords it.

Mikado

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If I find a post even a bit questionable, excessive, or argumentative I will moderate it. It takes a lot less time to do this than to try to explain things over and over.

This is how I have decided to handle it. There is way too much tension going on in a area where we are supposed to be able to relax.

I have said this before. This is not a Democracy. Moderators try to bend over backwards to be fair, but I am way too tired to fight this any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.