When a $10 Trillion bank note is worth more on ebay than face value.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GopherT, Sep 13, 2016.

1. GopherT

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Sorry folks, not enough room in the title to specify it was in Zimbabwe dollars.

The 10Trillion dollar note is worth about 0.40 US dollars. They can be purchased on ebay for more than $5 each as a novelty item/collectable.

upload_2016-9-13_12-7-52.png

Recent hyper inflation (5000% on zimbabwe dollar basis on local goods/services) has been halted by simply abandoning a local currency and using the currency of multiple countries/regions instead.

I'm surprised the value of these bills has not skyrocketed because of extensive use in folk medicine - a method to cause hyper inflation.

2. boatsman

Jan 17, 2008
    If Stanley Fischer had stayed in Zimbabwe this probably wouldn't have happened.

atferrari likes this.
  3. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    No wonder we get so many emails offering us money.

#12 and GopherT like this.
  4. jgessling

Jul 31, 2009
    You are way behind the story. When I crossed the Zambezi river about 8 years ago a pack of trillion notes of several denominations was available for about USD10. Didn't actually go into Zimbabwe, we were crossing from Zambia to Botswana coming from Victoria Falls with Zimbabwe on the other side of the triangle. I got a hundred trillion for a friend who collects banknotes. That river crossing was not dangerous in the small speedboat we were in but the half sunken barges and other boats along the shore certainly gave pause.

5. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Did you claim that hundred trillion when you came back through customs? That was a large sum of cash. :) Worthless, but still a big number.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    About as valuable as the number of skin cells that were rubbed off the last time he took a shower.:D

JoeJester likes this.
  7. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    @#12 I would have declared it to see the look on the custom agent's face; especially after I pulled it out of my pocket. :)

8. jgessling

Jul 31, 2009
    Never thought to declare it. But then I'm not good that way. Didn't declare the package of biltong ( meat jerky ) that I was given on the Air Botswana fight either. Told the guy in Atlanta nothing to declare and later noticed that package right on top in my suitcase. Whoops.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    You want to see a look? Try getting on an airplane while being in possession of Bitcoin.
    It doesn't even have to be an international flight,
    like traveling from New Hampshire to San Francisco...
    Show me the Bitcoin!
    http://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-tsa-screening-2014-2

10. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    ...And here we have yet another sterling example (pun intended;)) as regards the inadvisability peril of entrusting wealth to 'fiat-backed' economies...

Best regards
    HP

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Are you talking about the U.S. dollar?
    http://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/fiatmoney.asp

"Because fiat money is not linked to physical reserves, it risks becoming worthless due to hyperinflation. If people lose faith in a nation's paper currency, like the U.S. dollar bill, the money will no longer hold any value.

Aleph(0) and Hypatia's Protege like this.
  12. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    --Emphasis added--

Indeed I am!:eek: -- And, come to that, all manner of financial 'instruments' wherein 'artificial value' exceeds intrinsic value! -- 'Funny' thing about economies - 'No standard' means no standards! -- Sad, sad days!:rolleyes:

Best regards
    HP

Aleph(0) likes this.
  13. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    It also risks becoming worthless because of a rogue comet hitting the earth. In any conceivable worst-case scenario where the dollar is worthless the value of the dollar will be the least of your worries.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Thanks. That eases my stress greatly.:D

15. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Yebbut - the value/stability of fiat currency has been on the decline all my life -- And without assistance from natural disasters...:(

The value of fiat currency would indeed be irrelevant -- howbeit 'Barter power' would likely be key to survival in a post-disaster scenario -- Of course one's first procurement must needs be 'security forces'/hardware:cool:

Best regards
    HP:)

16. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Aleph(0) and nsaspook like this.
  17. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    In the event anyone is losing sleep over said possibility -- here ya go! -- Have fun! We could start a drive? Let's call it 'Bullion before boulders';)

TTFN
    HP:D

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    JoeJester and nsaspook like this.
  18. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    I wouldn't declare I wasn't too hungry either.

19. Hypatia's Protege

Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Very true! -- At the same time the author brought it on himself via his 'cheek'! -- IMO that sort of harassment is much more disturbing when conducted against travelers providing their own means of transport -- Those who insist upon 'The Communal Lifestyle' (CIP public transportation) must be willing to play by 'their' rules!

Best regards
    HP

Expert

Nov 30, 2010