Wheel of fortune circuit

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
Top left is an oscillator, bottom left is just a buffer that when the button is pressed drives the led's to ground and turns them on. The oscillator obviously clocks the counter, the button press also stops the oscillator pausing the counter.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
That oscillator isn't what you think it is. IC1D and IC1E form a non-inverting buffer with hysteresis, which can act as a latch. It is IC1A with feedback through D1 and R2 that turns it into an oscillator. The original designer is playing some games with the resistor value ratios. For example, R1 can override the hysteresis feedback coming in through R2, and R4 might figure in there depending on the output state at pin 2.

ak

Last edited:

crash563

Joined Feb 25, 2013
If possible can you eblaborate on that because I have never seen a schmitt trigger configuration like this before.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
What a neat circuit; with insufficient + bias at pin 1 , nothing moves. Charge up C3 & ckt. oscillates at about 50 Hz. As C3 discharges it takes + bias longer to recover & at about 8 sec. later C3 down to 2.5 V , osc. stops. Vcc = 6V. IC = 4009.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
As the overall circuit slows down, R3 always discharges C3 through D1 at the same rate. If you tied the three inverters (pins 13, 3, and 5) to pin 10 instead of the switch, then the LEDs would blink off briefly when changing from one LED to the next, and as the circuit slows down the off time would be constant and the on times would get longer and longer until the circuit stops on its final value. VERY nice.

ak

Last edited:

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
They all light up, but one at a time; that's the intent of the circuit.

ak
I think that he is saying that its hard to breadboard because of many connections he has to do which results in some LEDs not lighting up because of improper connection.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
That's part of the "fun" of electronics, and it never goes away completely. About 2 weeks ago my hands thought they knew more than my brain. I love the smell of fried transistors in the morning.

ak