What's up with server latencies?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by WBahn, Dec 12, 2012.

1. WBahn

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 31, 2012
    Over the past several days (week?) there have been several times that I looked at a thread, responded to it, and then had several other posts show up between the last one that was there when I viewed the thread and the one I just posted. Now, this has happened before, but the time stamps on the posts always were consistent with the posts happening between the time I viewed the thread and when I finished making my post. But not it is happening and the posts that weren't there are hours older than when I viewed the thread. An example is

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showpost.php?p=551477&postcount=7

Perhaps on a similar note, I have noticed in the last week or so that I will make a post and then, some time later, get an e-mail notification of another post to that thread only to discover that it is referring to posts that were made before I made my last post. That used to never happen.

Have things been migrated to a new server or ISP? Has it move to "the cloud"?

2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    I know that jrap is buffing up the site. Be a bit patient until the database stabilizes.

3. WBahn

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 31, 2012
    Okay.

Reminds me of a sign I saw along a pathway when I was working at NIST that said, "Please excuse the temporary inconvenience while we make permanent improvements." In one of the prior construction projects they opened up a temporary walkway that was actually a big improvement over the original path we had to take and, when everything was finished, the new pathway was considerably longer than the original. So one night I made an alternate sign and put it over the real one that said, "Please excuse the temporary improvements while we make permanent inconveniences."

4. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    They use that sign here too, on public works. But we mostly mix the sentence a bit: It should say "Please excuse the permanent inconveniences - period".