What's their actual name?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
On board, for discharging / loading machinery / parts for the oil industry we pass the eye of the sling around them.

In the site, no crane is used but trucks able to pull and lift.

How do you call the parts circled in red?

Heard people calling them "trunions" but I suspect that is wrong.

Attachments

Last edited:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I think that the only time I have used the word trunnion was in reference to the two round pieces of metal that protrude from the side of a cannon barrel. The barrel pivots on the trunnions. The area you circled in the photo appears to be similar to the trunnions on a cannon.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
trunnion mounts are common in hydraulic cylinders, less so in pneumatics. I'd support the term trunnion to describe your questioned device.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You will find some cross over in general usage of Trunnion and Gimbal, although gimbal is generally a device that allows swivel in more than one direction, but often gimbal is used instead of trunnion.
e.g. is an automotive universal joint a trunnion or a gimbal?;)
Max.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The lifting pionts on the sides of a dumpster are also called trunnions and the piece of the truck that grabs the trunnion is the trunnion bar.

A trunnion does not move - it is just a robust pin with a slight head so it can be set in a channel and allow pivot. So I would not consider a universal joint to be a trunnion.