What's the worst electrical shock you've received?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Sure it was 220V and not 230V ? I think the voltage was increased in 1987 (at least in Germany). I once came in contact with 220V and once with 230V but I didn't really note the difference :) As far as I remember it wasn't even that painful, I just remember the feeling of relief after the shock, that nothing worse had happened.

More painful and memorable was a contact with a hot soldering iron on which I rested my forearm :( I had quite a big blister and afterwards a scar that I could see for some years.
Thats what I thought too. I was expecting more. I guess if I had gripped the hot wire more or something it would have hurt more. It was more of a severe power over my whole arm.

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
I have to relate the experience of Larry, a tech that I used to work with--he was working on some conduits above a drop ceiling--lots of space there and accessed from another area without taking down any ceiling tiles. Well, he got caught up on 230 or 460V and could not let go, so he jumped and crashed through the drop ceiling, all 220lb of him--landed right in front of his boss and had some fast talking to do--never lived that one down

What amazes me is considering how many stories like this we hear, actual fatalities seem to be quite low--good thing or else none of us would be here...

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
480vac from finger to elbow. Joint tingled for a couple of weeks. My larger concern, based equally on experience and data, is arc flash. Had one buddy killed and another seriously burnt when an oil filled transformer blew up. Another buddy had his hand seriously burnt when a 36v forklift battery connector shorted in his hand. I lockout, measure twice, checking that my meter leads are actually connected between measurements, use a face shield over 1KV, and always safety glasses. Risk assessment prior to engaging, even for the most trivial situation.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I lockout, measure twice, checking that my meter leads are actually connected between measurements, use a face shield over 1KV, and always safety glasses.
A faceshield, or at least goggles, are a good idea for regular mains work, too--not just high voltage. A coworker of a buddy of mine nearly lost his eyes from a small 240v arc flash--molten copper flew everywhere, burnt him pretty badly and severely damaged his eyes.