What's the resistance?

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by jut, Dec 19, 2007.

1. jut

Thread Starter Senior Member

Aug 25, 2007
    What's the resistance across AB?

[​IMG]

2. recca02

Apr 2, 2007
    12//4= 3
    the two resistors are connected in parallel..connected across same 2 points A and B.
    think, when can u actually say those are in series?

3. cumesoftware

Apr 27, 2007
    Simple. Resistors are in parallel. Resistance is 3Ohm.

4. jut

Thread Starter Senior Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Yeah yeah, they're in parallel -- I realized that after posting. But a neophyte like myself thought they were in series... I mean, come on, it looks just like a pair of series resistors! :)

5. cumesoftware

Apr 27, 2007
    I noticed it too. The way the circuit is designed is misleading.

6. recca02

Apr 2, 2007
    One comes across such situations often in network analysis...and it is really funny since u can assume without regret that one person out there is sure to commit a mistake there and u can look smart explaining it to him;):D. Meaning i perhaps made a similar mistake once:rolleyes:.

For the resistors to be in series one must encounter both resistance when traversing the wire from point A to B at once.

7. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Indeed, its quite deceptive. It is often best in circumstances such as these to redraw the circuit in order to confirm that your suspicions are indeed correct. As is the case with learning in electronics we are conditioned to expect circuits to be drawn in a certain way.

Dave

8. asimov

Jun 25, 2007
    If it is a text book problem than it is an old trick. Teaches one not to assume anything. The best thing to do is try redrawing the circuit by tracing out the current paths.

9. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    What are you talking about?
    The resistors are obviously in parallel.

10. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Were they obvious the very first time you seen that circuit those years ago?

Recently I spoke with a newbie [not a poster of this forum] who didn't "see" a parallel resistor path. It's not obvious to the newbie. Just as asimov stated
    As an experienced person, you should not assume the obvious to you is the obvious to everyone.

11. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    I was a noobie such a long time ago that today I can't remember being a noobie.

12. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    It's been so long since I was a newbie that I suffer from CRS ... Cant Remember S_it.