What's the most complex project you've ever seen?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by wannaBinventor, Sep 21, 2010.

1. wannaBinventor

Thread Starter Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Just curious on what everyone thinks the most complex electronics project they've ever seen completed by a hobbyist is?

I'm lightyears from this, but at some point in my life I think it would be cool to make a DIY RC airplane drone.

I'd probably like to takeoff and land manually, but then I think it would be cool to make it do different maneuvers, fly a pattern, etc, until I switch back to manual control and land it.

Of course, this would require complex radio communication, gyros, accelerometers, motor control, servo control, GPS, altitude measurement, speed measurement, etc: Something that I probably wouldn't be ready to even attempt for another 5 or 10 years, but I think it would be neat.

So what kind of complex/amazing projects have you seen?

2. PRS

Aug 24, 2008
    My most complex project was writing a math emulater with assembly code.

jaygatsby likes this.
  3. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    In 5-10 years you'll buy this stuff off the shelf for a few dollars...

4. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    Idea to market =) No thought goes anywhere, unless someone makes it so.

5. RowanT

Aug 17, 2010
    Hi, these are quite common in the RC scene these days, since the price drop of accelerometers and gyro's, though it's still quite in its infancy.. Check out openpilot.org, rcgroups, DIYdrones.com etc.. Some have simple stabilization circuitry and code, whilst others aim to be (almost) fully autonomous, with waypoints, automatic landing, hovering and takeoff.

The most complex project I've done myself as a hobbyist would be a single board computer, based on a 400MHz ARM9, AT91SAM9G20. It had on board 10/100Mbit PHY transceiver, 4-port USB hub, GPS, multi-voltage SMPS, PCIE Express Mini and SIM card holder. Apart from having a footprint wrong on 1 part (mosfet used as a switch to control the GPS supply) it worked 100% Rev 1 :D

6. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
  7. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Get the right education so you can request the agency
    that control the drones for a real experience.They will provide
    you all the toys.By time you get out of service,the private market
    will be ready for you,fly Into hurricanes,wildfires,floods. Provide
    emergency services by making drops,maybe larger drones will
    lift people out of hazardous areas.How about a jet drone,just
    like star wars.

8. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Been done (twice) many years ago. The planes crossed the Atlantic under their own control. Take off and landing were by humans. Two teams succeeded.

Edit: Here is a link to Maynard Hill's biography. He is a giant in model aviation. You can read about his autopilot and other inverntions. A little more than halfway down is a description of the trans-Atlantic flight.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/Hill-Maynard.pdf

John

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  9. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    I've got a few, but they're kind of hard to describe at the moment. Then there's the projects that were built in modular form that interact with each other in various parts of the building.

You'd laugh at most of my circuits though, I tend to use discrete logic ICs in combination to do what a simple microcontroller could do if I ever bothered to learn them.

I might try and describe a couple in time.

10. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    PackratKing and tindel like this.
  11. wannaBinventor

Thread Starter Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Wow. That guy has to be a seasoned professional or a genius hobbyist. That gives one a true appreciation for ICs.

12. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Tell me about it... Just look at the bill of materials..

13. Rbeckett

Sep 3, 2010
    Heres a goody for ya. A device that maintains a Plasma torch that generates high freq and temps at the proper distance from the material being cut. The temps are in the 7K degree F. range, along with slag (molten metal) blowing every where and Iron Oxide dust contamination. It senses the arc voltage through a 50:1 divider and makes minute (.015 inch) adjustments in real time to maintain an accurate .063 stand off while moving in X, Y, and Z axis. And I just started learning electronics six months ago. I think I have lost my mind, but I am convinced it can be done for less than 3000 USD.

14. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    It can be done for $30. You just need an arduino...

;)

15. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    Wow !! :eek: LSI at its finest.......Magnificent !!

16. wannaBinventor

Thread Starter Member

Apr 8, 2010
    I was intrigued by this. I have no idea about anything to do with welding or plasma cutting. I, like you, got started in electronics about 6-7 months ago.

Is something like this already on the market?

17. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  18. AMIT_GOHEL

Jul 13, 2010
    Interfaced cellphone with 89c51..

You may not find it very big but if i say it was my first fight with a programmeble device ...

19. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

A fully interlaced video test generator.
    I made one about 30 years ago using 30 TTL chips.

Bertus

20. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    If you made it 25 years ago, would you have only used 25 TTL chips?

Just kidding.

Were the chips to process each frame (29.92fps) ? per second ?