whats the difference between these terms?

shaking928

Joined Nov 8, 2004
:( I'm form China.I am always confused with some English terms about Electrical Engineering.Can somebody give me an explicit explanation.
1.What's the difference between "electrical" and "electric"?
2.What's the difference between "experiment" and "experimentation"?
3.What's the difference between "measure" and "measurement"?

bipin

Joined Mar 21, 2004
hi, its nothing techincal.

Electric can be used as noun and adjective
electrical is only adjective.
experiment is verb and noun experimentation is only noun.

measure is verb and noun measurement is only noun.

I used to always think -- y the heck, so many languages in this world?

electronics dictionary

you go to this web and down load the wordweb free english electronics dictionary.

:)

shaking928

Joined Nov 8, 2004
then do you mean I can interchangeably use these words when used as an adjective one or a noun?for example,can i say "electric equipment" instead of electrical equipment.I think there must be something different between them.

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi shake,

let me add to confusion :p "electric equipment" this could mean 2 things, A. a devise that is dependent on electricity to operate. B. a devise that produces electricity.

"electrical equip." it means a devise that is dependent to electricity.

i hope this clears the cloud :D of doubt, if not then i have muddled it further :eek:

shaking928

Joined Nov 8, 2004
hi mozikluv
thanks,I‘m now much clearer. but "depend on electricity to operation" and "depend to electricity" still confuse me.can you give me some examples about something called "a electrical equip" not a "electric equip"?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

The terms are hard to define precisely. To try an example, electrical equipment is a general description of devices intended to deal with electric power. Specific devices would be: an electric motor, an electric sign, an electric heater.

It's something like that with experiment/experimentation. The example would be something like: During his long experimentation with electricity, Thomas Edison found the vacuum tube diode in an experiment to find a practical filament for an electric lamp.