What's the damage threshold power for a signal generator?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Matjelo Naleli, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Matjelo Naleli

Thread Starter Member

Oct 7, 2015
    I have a Tektronix AFG3102 function generator with 50 Ohms output resistance and I want to drive a 5 Ohms load with it. Obviously the impedances are not matched and back-reflected power is inevitable. I could build a matching network but I just curious as to how much back-reflected power can this Function generator handle before it's damaged. I checked the manual but I couldn't get the info on this issue.

Does any one know how much back-reflected power a typical function generator can tolerate?

2. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    The signal generator should be able to run into a dead short, that's as bad a mismatch as it gets.

Otherwise there would be piles of dead signal generators everywhere...

3. Matjelo Naleli

Thread Starter Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Alright thanks Sensacell, I didn't know that.

4. Kjeldgaard

Apr 7, 2016
    An excerpt from the Datasheet:

Output impedance: 50Ω
    Load impedance setting: Selectable: 50Ω, 1Ωto 10.0 kΩ ,HighZ
    Isolation: 42 V pk maximum to earth
    Short-circuit protection: Signal outputs are robust against permanent shorts against floating ground
    External voltage protection: To protect signal outputs against external voltages use fuse adapter 013-0345-xx

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I smoked the 47 ohm resistor on the output of my EICO 390 signal generator many years ago.
    I don't know how I killed it, but it's possible.

6. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    Including both of mine. :)