What's the Advantage of THIS?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ELECTRONERD, Jul 23, 2009.

1. ELECTRONERD

Thread Starter Senior Member

May 26, 2009
    Can someone explain the advantage of having diodes configured in parallel? I couldn't think of anything except splitting the current.

Thanks!

2. millwood

sharing current is probably the biggest reason, though you need to take care of balancing the load.

it could also be for redundancy.

3. steinar96

Apr 18, 2009
    yeah, sharing current is most likely the reason. It does have it's drawbacks though such as 1 diode becoming faster forward biased and taking all the current on itself momenterally enough to go poof.

4. millwood

thus, the need for load balancing resistors.

5. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009
    Perhaps they are in parallel, but not connected with the same polarity. Think of a use for that ( hint there is at least one, I do not promise that it is great ). <= thinking regular signal diode. And could the diode be an LED, a zeener or a tunnel diode, or a.....

6. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    In parallel with opposite polarities in a feedback line of an op amp gives uncompensated log compression to the signal.

7. DC_Kid

Distinguished Member

Feb 25, 2008
    way to general a question. maybe to increase capacitance, or to half inductance ??

8. ELECTRONERD

Thread Starter Senior Member

May 26, 2009
    Thanks for all the quick replies. Indeed, I've seen diodes configured in parallel that are with the same polarity.