What's taught to kids in school these days? Could be from a Twilight Zone episode!!

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
But in most history books, only the US is stated as slave holders.
Yeah... don't you just hate it when you're on the receiving end of stereotyping? ... We as humans, in our limited intelligence, tend to oversimplify things. Now, I think that simplification can be a good thing, since it invites us to look more carefully at things later on. But sometimes it's taken too far, and ends up distorting historical facts and motivations until they end up looking like cartoons anymore.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
... the things I was taught in school don't hold up when you read some of what was written by people in personal letters from the actual time it took place.
So true. I once visited the Tippecanoe battlefield in Indiana where William Henry Harrison went up against Tecumseh in 1811. If you learn about this event in school, it is presented as a victory that propelled Harrison to the White House. There is some truth in that, from the perspective of historical hindsight, but you'd never get that from reading the letters home from the men that fought the battle. To a man they considered it a devastating loss.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I took a semester of Political Science in college. It was an inspiring class!
At the end of the semester I asked the teacher a question and the answer was about whose wife was committing adultery with which Founding Father. Scandal and corruption clear back to George Washington? It's enough to crush your starry eyed dreams about the start of our country.:(

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I don't know. The fact that our founders were human makes their accomplishment all the more stunning.
When I read the writings of the Founding Fathers, I tend to think anyone that brilliant would have enough intelligence and personal integrity to holster their tool. Probably my personal failing to believe that with great intellect comes good morals.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
When I read the writings of the Founding Fathers, I tend to think anyone that brilliant would have enough intelligence and personal integrity to holster their tool. Probably my personal failing to believe that with great intellect comes good morals.
I always assumed the same until I realized that the B and C law students, political science students were the ones who could not find jobs at law firms or government staff jobs so they ran for government office. Mayors of small and medium sized towns with $20k and $30k salaries. Nobody special and paid at a level to willing to accept what is offered when people look to grease the wheels of government.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Don't forget ... There was a Speaker of the house that only held jobs in the public sector since he was elected mayor at age 18.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Probably my personal failing to believe that with great intellect comes good morals.
"Inside every cynic is a disappointed idealist" Doesn't mean that it wasn't/isn't true, just that it has been "slightly" soiled and or distorted.

The core still is true. It just means that you have done better than them when it comes to morals.

Edit; Removed the last two words because when they are read sounded way too sarcastic compered to what I meant...:oops:

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
While I'm whining, I would like to say it wasn't just my starry eyed adoration of the Founding Fathers that got crushed. I have spent an unusual amount of time with physicians and completely got over any respect on a personal level. Sometimes they were fixing my injuries, sometimes I was fixing their air conditioners and medical equipment, and I spent a year with a rock&roll band made entirely of physicians. Don't think they weren't good doctors, most of them were. The best doc I ever knew lost his career to his sexual proclivities and another local doc, when googled, comes up as her mug shot from trading drugs for sex.

I know which local doctors I want on my team when I am in a desperate illness or injury, but I completely got over thinking they have any morals. (I find this particularly amazing when I consider the risk of HIV and 3 flavors of hepatitis.) So, the moral of the story is that what they learned in school, the level of intellect required for their accomplishments, boils down to what Gopher said:
Qualities are different than qualifications.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
I know which local doctors I want on my team when I am in a desperate illness or injury, but I completely got over thinking they have any morals.
Could you send them my way because the last time I went to the doctor's. Dead and sleepy eyes were what I met...I knew I was starting to get pneumonia since I've had it about a year before.

Nah after a minute examination he prescribed me some codein based cough syrup. o_O

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Could you send them my way because the last time I went to the doctor's. Dead and sleepy eyes were what I met...I knew I was starting to get pneumonia since I've had it about a year before.

Nah after a minute examination he prescribed me some codein based cough syrup. o_O
Maybe you just need a good night of sleep now that those long summer days are over in Iceland.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I had pneumonia once. It was caused by a sinus problem which required surgery.:eek:
I'd say, "good luck" but luck would have killed me if I didn't know a good doc.
Don't play it easy with recurring pneumonia!

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I had pneumonia once. It was caused by a sinus problem which required surgery.:eek:
I'd say, "good luck" but luck would have killed me if I didn't know a good doc.
Don't play it easy with recurring pneumonia!
Recurring? How many times have you had it?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
One lung... two lungs... single pneumonia, dou.....
Never mind, I'm at a restaurant celebrating a friend's birthday and I can't count past one anymore...
I'm done for the night... sweet dreams everyone