What's taught to kids in school these days? Could be from a Twilight Zone episode!!

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
About 6-7 years ago I had some contract work at an elementary school in inner city Baltimore. This was over the summer so the only people there were support staff like costodians and maybe a couple admins. I never saw anyone except the janitor to open the door for us and then someone to direct us to the rooms.

The classrooms had pictures of the kids from the class and I think I saw MAYBE 1 white kid per classroom, some had none.

I was in a 3rd or 4th grade class and they probably started studying US history in that class as they had pictures of every US President hanging at the top of the wall, going around the room. This all seems normal but here is where I felt like I was in the twilight zone. Every picture was of a black man. The facial features and hair style were clearly identifiable as the president it depicted. The hair might not have been so white for the wigs on earlier presidents, and all had black hair when pictured without wigs.

At first I thought it was the lighting in the room, but really doubted that. I turned on all the lights and took a closer look. Yup, no doubt about it. These people had a complexion between Mr & Mrs Obama. I then decided to look at the names to make sure this wasn't something else but was really confused b/c I knew the facial features of many of the earlier presidents and a number in between that were unmistakable, LIKE JFK!!!!

To make matters worse, I couldn't ask the guy I was working with to verify what we were seeing as we had had some major issues on the previous job and there was already lots of tension. I figured I would be called racist if it was brought up as he more resembled those pictured in the room.

At the time I my phone didn't have a camera so I couldn't document this, but I called a couple people (3) from the site and not one person believed me. I left the building, went to lunch across the street and came back hoping that things would be normal and that earlier I was suffering from food poisoning or something. No such luck.

Well, I posted many times about this in the following weeks and months. Many times the posts were immediately deleted and in others I was mocked and told I was on drugs, a racist or that I was inciting racism. If any of that were true (incitement, being racist, effects of drugs), it would be the first time for me and contrary to all previous lifetime behavior, so IDK, judge for yourself. IDK how I would benefit from this as it actually hurt some relationships by reporting this as they thought there was something wrong with ME (delusional, hallucinating, etc). I had no other problems navigating a city I didn't know or problems talking to people immediately after the job, so I feel confident what I saw was "real".

So, IDK what to think about this nor what to do. I let it drop as the more I brought it up with family and friends they acted more strangely to me. What is one to do when something like this (or REAL UFO) type things are seen?

Has anyone else encountered anything like this in the educational system or had to deal with similar circumstances of people not believing them b/c it was TOO strange and "rocked the boar".?

I was thinking of calling the school and asking why those pictures are like that but I would have to do some digging to find the paperwork for the school. IDK if that is worth doing or not, having so much time pass.

What do you people think? (no need for mockery or rude comments, I've already had enough of that when it happened).

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I have no trouble believing you. But I've been a crackpot for years.

You need to get a good smartphone with a good camera in it. Carry it always.

Having American citizenship and a collage degree does not make one an American. Many have citizenship, but have no idea of what is is to be an American.

Do you know why America use to be called exceptional? I said use to, because it is exceptional no longer.

It's because every other government on the planet, OR in the past........was setup to control the citizens activity.

America WAS the first government to be set up for the citizens to control government activity.

An American use to be the only people on earth that didn't fear their government.

Today, it appears, no matter who gets elected, half the country will be fearful.

I know I will.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
That was just what you saw in the classroom. You wouldn't want to listen to a classroom.

Go watch the dumpsters after lunch. It will make you sick. Not the food, the waste.

And then watch them complain about not having enough money and all the poor little children that go hungry in this country. And how shameful it is for allowing this to happen.

Then go to the nurses station. They will have an absolute policy against aspirin, but show 5th graders how to put condoms on, or suggest the possibility of a different gender.

And I'm the crackpot.

I say a live web feed in every classroom. And dumpster.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I tried to find an example of a poster showing American presidents with black skin and came up empty. It seems unlikely a school room would have original art on the wall – they would likely buy it somewhere – but I couldn't find anywhere to buy them. (Unless the teacher colored them in?)

So to make your case believable, it falls on you to provide better proof.

Personally, I don't doubt you at all. You can find textbooks on U.S. history that make no mention of Washington or Jefferson.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I tried to find an example of a poster showing American presidents with black skin and came up empty. It seems unlikely a school room would have original art on the wall – they would likely buy it somewhere – but I couldn't find anywhere to buy them. (Unless the teacher colored them in?)

So to make your case believable, it falls on you to provide better proof.

Personally, I don't doubt you at all. You can find textbooks on U.S. history that make no mention of Washington or Jefferson.
Even if that were true I think it falls more in the vein of clever parody and satire. For all we know the folks at Breitbart cooked this one up. It is no more worrisome than the teaching of intelligent design or creationism. Some segments of society will always be ignorant and ill informed. So tell me mein fuhrers would you prefer a homogeneous society where everyone held the same identical views?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
That's the precise goal of the statists. Common core, common thought.
Actually the precise point is that since we cannot agree on basic facts, the education you get either confers an advantage on you or it doesn't. If you are happy being in the segment of America where your education does not confer an advantage on you, then that is on you and nobody else. If you are not happy then you vote with your feet. If we are about anything, we are about personal responsibility.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You can find textbooks on U.S. history that make no mention of Washington or Jefferson.
That is hardly a useful point since textbooks are determined by the State Boards of Education in Texas and California, which are not known for their truthiness. That being said, it is a wonder we still have a scientific and technology establishment. Oh...wait, it might be slipping away.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
An American use to be the only people on earth that didn't fear their government.
That america has long left the station.

Today, you are called a racist for wanting everyone to be judged the same way; you are called a bigot for wanting to execute the laws; ...