What's On Your Christmas List?

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Hey Everyone,

Just wondered what might be on your Christmas list this year? It could be anything from a soldering iron to a μC development board.

Austin

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I was about to say the same thing. A good single malt. Lagavulin is my favorite, but the price has doubled in the past 5 years. Fortunately, I made a wise investment -- probably my only one.

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
There is also an IR controlled indoor helicopter. Can't be expensive, my brother sent me one. What's neat is the IR control is proportional. I can't wait to take it apart. No, it's not made in Germany, USA, or Switzerland.

John

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
A nice whisky or whiskey is always good, Laphroaig is very similar to Lagavulin but about half the price (in the UK). I prefer them less smoky - Talisker is my favourite although some of the Irish ones come close. Jameson Special Reserve is lovely.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Some people consider Laproaig as being like drinking (slightly) diluted phenol. When I am on the cheap, I mix it 1:3 with a blended scotch to make it more palatable. Of course, there are many other good single malts. Lagavulin is about $100 per 5th in the US today. I also like Talisker.

In fact, if it is not water, I like it.

John

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Just had to look up 5th of whisky - I think it is 1/5th of an American gallon, so about the same size as our 700ml bottles. Over here Lagavulin 16 year old is equivalent to $60 per bottle, Talisker about $40.
Jack Daniels is about $40 a bottle too, but I wouldn't drink it out of choice, it's probably a lot cheaper on your side of the pond.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
My dream trip to Return to Texas, To research Fireants...time Is always
a problem. Texas or Bust......To determine there poison..you need the
special equipment that Bertus works with.What could be better than
spend a part our Christmas with our Forum family.

Last edited:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
A good single malt. Lagavulin is my favorite, but the price has doubled in the past 5 years.
The old fella treated me to a bottle of Lagavulin for my birthday this year. As of yet it is sitting on my whisky-stand unopened as I finish of a bottle of Balvenie. At this years Christmas market I bought a small bottle of an organic whisky called Da Mhile - a pale single malt scotch from Loch Lomond. I shall be sampling that over the break.

A nice whisky or whiskey is always good, Laphroaig is very similar to Lagavulin but about half the price (in the UK). I prefer them less smoky - Talisker is my favourite although some of the Irish ones come close. Jameson Special Reserve is lovely.
I would have said Taliskar is what I would describe as "smoky" owing to its powerful peatiness. Its a lovely whisky. I can give or take Laphroaig, and positively hated it when I first tried it several new years eve's ago. I has grown on me over the years but I wouldn't choose to buy a bottle.

Dave

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I would have to agree Laphroaig is definitely an acquired taste. It still reminds me too much of the anatomy lab.

For the ladies, I think Glenmorangie aged in port casks is pretty good and about half the price of Lagavulin here.

BTW, what I called a 5th earlier is actually 750 mL.

John

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I would have to agree Laphroaig is definitely an acquired taste. It still reminds me too much of the anatomy lab.
Yes, there is a feeling of chem with it. If there is one offered I'll have it of course!

For the ladies, I think Glenmorangie aged in port casks is pretty good and about half the price of Lagavulin here.
Say what you will about Glemorangie, its a nice smooth and inoffensive whisky.

Dave

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
My Christmas list.....

Mmmmmm, let me see....

MORE TIME IN MY WORKSHOPS.

Daniel.
I agree. That would be nice.

I think I will adjust my new years resolution to somehow make that happen.

I need to remove the computer from my bench also. I often lose much of my "bench-time" to internet foolishness.

I would like an e-reader that holds my datasheets, but doesn't allow random surfing. That would help heaps.

I would love to have a datasheet e-reader.

I have to look at the nook and kindle.

We just got my parents a kindle for Christmas, and they were quite happy with the gift.. now I have to think about my productivity.