What's in your toolbox?

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I agree with Loosewire that we need to ginger up posts here to survive.

So I am kicking off with the first of some occasional electronics topics.

I routinely carry the pictured meters and testers around in my toolbox for pc work.

The ruler at bottom is 300cm or 1 foot long

From left to right along top

Mains power tester displays power, voltage, current, frequency & power factor.

Multimeter measures voltage, current, resistance, light level, temperature, sound level., humidity and semiconductor tests.

Battery tester applies dedicated loads, has spring loaded coin cell fitting.

Computer psu tester

Second row

Battery eliminator tester and polarity indicator accepts various jacks
Mains socket wiring checker checks line neutral & earth for correct operation

Third row

Telephone socket and line function tester.

Attachments

Bychon

Joined Mar 12, 2010
I can't live without my Fluke 27 with a thermocouple adapter. After that, an amp-clamp meter, an outlet checker, a Phillips CRT scope, and a signal generator. Then, there's the NE-2 on a diddle stick to find high frequency oscillators. A couple of $4 DMM's await the day the Fluke fails while I'm in an attic.

That about covers it. Anything else, I build a circuit and use the scope and signal generator to derive the answers.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I have a hammer, few screwdrivers, three 10-penny nails and wire staples, a note from an ex-girlfriend telling me how much she loves me (That I didnt find until afer I gave her the boot. oops) A fluke 28II, and my pride and joy, a nameless, made in china, $4 Harbor Freight DMM. I would like to upgrade to the Fluke 289...nice.

Also, carry a Canon A590IS camera, standard woodcraft tools, linesmans pliers, side cutters, various strippers (Candy, Barbie, Vikky ;) ) and wire strippers, A clamp on vice, Black and Decker RTX rotary tool + various tooling, a collection of nut drivers, Greenlee GT-11 non-contact voltage detector, logic probe, and a butane soldering iron (flux, few varieties of solder, desoldering pump)

If we are posting pictures, Ill have to bring my bag home from work tomorrow.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Do we need anything else:p. But joking aside. I have many sets of tools. I like to have one set for precession work, and one set that I can abuse. Some tools have made myself. Like tool for cutting tracks on stripe board. Of course some DMMs and a scope. A PICKIT 2 for MCU development.
Nothing fancy like expensive rework tools. I use solder wick and desolder pump. And my spicy deck of cards, suddenly disappeared one day. The same day my girlfriend used my tools to hang up some pictures. Strange but true. I was more upset by the fact that she used the copper only wirecutter on steel wire:eek:. What a sacrilege! After that day she got her own Black&Decker toolset

Attachments

Last edited:

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
among all the rest of my essential meters, gauges, etc,
a Power Probe 3 has become a go-to tool.
I love that it can inject + or - of any dc voltage desired.
plus it has a voltmeter.