What's generally the wattage of computers and laptops?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by flabber, Feb 15, 2009.

1. flabber

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Hi everyone,
    For my own information, I'm collecting the Unit Power consumption (Wattage) of various household equipments. I'm much interested in knowing what wattage do computers and laptops generally have.
    The supply of my Laptop says:
    Input: 220V and 1.5 A
    Output: 19.5V and 3.34A
    Is my laptop consuming 19.5*3.34 = 65.13 W :confused:?? Please correct me.
    Moreover, I do not posses a PC...so please someone tell me what is their wattage in General. If possible then please also inform me where do we read the power input & output information on PCs. So that, I'll try to check for the values on my cousin's PC. Thanks:) in advance.

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

The power consumption of PC and Laptops can be different from type to type.
    It depends on several cards and chips and processor used.
    A high end graphic card will consume much more than a low end card.
    A high speed processor from an older PC will consume more than a newer type.
    Newer types of processors have "speedstepping" or "cool and quit" technology.
    When the processor is idle the clock speed will go down and consume less power.

Greetings,
    Bertus

3. flabber

Jan 23, 2009
    Thanks Bertus...:) if u have any estimated value of PC's and Laptop's wattage typically Pentium 4 and higher, then can you please share it with me?

4. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    The 65W you found is the maximal power the laptop can draw from it, which could occur only when it is on and charging. The average draw should be around 15-20W.

PCs have their inner supplies in the range from 250 to 500+ W, and 350W is about the today´s standard. But again, these are the maximal power ratings, and computers tend to draw about one half to one third of the rated power when running. And again it depends what you do on the computer at the moment. For example high-end graphics cards can take even 200W when under load.

Recently I measured a new PC with high-end graphics and 2.6ghz dual-core, it had a 450W PSU. I was using a cheap clamp-on ampmeter, and it was drawing 0.85A from 230Vac mains under load, so that is cca 200W.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

I know that my new PC with an AMD 64 X2 4800 with an onboard videocard consumes less than my older PC with an AMD 64 3200 with a seperate videocard.

Peraphs more info can be found at the PC guru.
    http://www.the-pc-guru.com/index.php

Greetings,
    Bertus

6. flabber

Jan 23, 2009
    Thanks Kubeek:) But there is some confusion:confused: If my laptop is turned on and I'm charging it as well then it will draw 65W this point is quite clear. But, when will it draw around 20W?? Because laptops are EITHER plugged into the socket for charging (sometimes we work on laptop simultaneous with charging) OR used unplugged...?In which condition will it draw 20W? Ummm...Is it when we charge it only while keeping it turned off?

One more thing regarding the PC wattage. If I'm using very high-end softwares like 3D-Max or other graphics animation and editing softwares, which of course require very high-end graphics card...then are the work load on these softwares gonna cause high load on the cards:confused:???
    Please clarify, i don't have very good concepts...thanks in advance:)

7. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    About the laptop: Let´s say it consumes 20W by itself, and additional 45W for charging of the battery. When the laptop is on and the battery is charging it takse 65W. When the charging finishes, it draws the 20W from the adapter because it wants to keep the battery full. When you disconnect the adapter it draws the 20W from the battery.
    Also when you are charging the battery and the laptop is off, then it draws 45W from the adapter.

From what I saw on the PC I measured, the difference between full power when running 3Dmark at full resolution and when idle was cca 50W, so that is cca 150W idle and 200W under load.