What's a Tensor?

Discussion in 'Math' started by nsaspook, May 28, 2015.

1. nsaspook

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009

Swati Beniwal and cmartinez like this.
  2. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    It comes right after 'ninesor'. And right before 'elevensor'. :)

cmartinez and nsaspook like this.
  3. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    It is like a vector, but it has more components. Common tensors are the Inertia tensor, stress tensor, and strain tensor. Tensors have an algebra and a calculus. In three dimensions a tensor will have nine components. They have property called rank. Scalars are tensors of rank 0, vectors are tensors of rank 1, and the tensor of rank 2 is our inertia, stress, strain, or other quantity.

cmartinez likes this.
  4. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    The number of components that a tensor will have in three dimensions depends on the rank of the tensor. In general, it will be N^R where N is the number of dimensions and R is the rank of the tensor.

cmartinez likes this.
  5. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    You might find this handout from OhioStateUni helpful

https://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~ntg/263/handouts/tensor_intro.pdf

Edit

Thank you for the vido, spook
    I will add that

Fleisch skates over two difficulties.

Firstly the difference between maths and physics that leads to vectors being simple low order tensors and tensors being simple (uncomplicated) vectors.

Secondly he mentions the tie up between arrays (matrices) and tensors.

Not all arrays are tensors, but all tensors can be written as an array.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  6. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
  7. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Things like this, repeated time and time again, always amaze me and provide strong evidence, to me, that "math is real" and not just a human creation. We develop a set of mathematical models for a system that describes the system as we know it today, and then study the math behind the model and predict subtle behaviors that were previously completely unknown and, at times, seemingly impossible. Then, often decades later, those behaviors are demonstrated experimentally.

cmartinez likes this.
  8. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    I read an article years ago titled "mathematical reality" that explored the subject so deeply that it even discussed its theological implications. Unfortunately, the link has been removed and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

9. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    It amazes me too and also makes my brain hurt trying to 'grok' it.
    The 'mathematical models' are not just made up to describe physical existence in the present, the correct models of fundamental details predict future (sometimes strange) behaviors of the physical system as conditions change. In this case the physical are things we can't directly 'see' but they exists in the same physical sense as a mountain. So I agree, the 'math' is already there and we are discovering it not inventing it.