What's a good website to order resistors, capacitors, power supplies, inductor coils?

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by zero_coke, Jun 6, 2010.

1. zero_coke

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 22, 2009
    What's a good website to order this kind of stuff that is not too expensive and is located in USA or Canada?

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    That is a subjective matter. The customs surcharge may be a killer, but Digi-Key and Mouser have a lot of depth in their stock.

We have Canadian members that can probably suggest suppliers up there.

3. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    The only thing I get from Canada, is Canadian Club.

4. zero_coke

Apr 22, 2009
    Is that a store or distributor of this sort of stuff I'm looking for? By the way, what is this stuff called anyway? Electronic components or circuit materials or what? I need the name so I can google some at the least hehe :)

5. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Its whiskey.

6. zero_coke

Apr 22, 2009
    That's odd; they have no items of:

Film capacitor - polypropylene - 0.012 uF , 12V AC

Is it impossible to have this kind of capacitor or is it just not in stock?

7. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    An AC rated capacitor is generally used in conjunction with an AC motor - http://www.ambercaps.com/

Poly caps are used to timing or passing signals with an AC component, but are only rated in DC volts.

8. zero_coke

Apr 22, 2009

What about this one? It has an AC rating ... you think it's a mistake or something??

9. eng1ne

Dec 4, 2009
    All capacitors have an AC rating; some are just not quoted.

What is your application? We might be able to suggest equivalent components.

10. zero_coke

Apr 22, 2009
    Well I need a low-loss capacitor for my LC circuit to wireless send power over 2-3 feet. I will be supplying AC signal at the natural frequency of the coil and capacitor, and will have another circuit with coil and capacitor and try to send power to it from the primary circuit.

11. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    Might be listed as 12 nF, but you probably knew that.

12. zero_coke

Apr 22, 2009
    Yes, I particularly searched for 12 nF capacitor, but I also checked off "AC voltage" in my search filter and this came up. Only reason I provided a link is because someone on here said that you can't use a capacitor with AC voltage, and I just wanted to verify if it can be or not. Can it?

13. massive

May 7, 2010
    Hey Mr Zero,
    Try capacitor Industries .

14. Grayham

May 18, 2010
  15. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  16. zero_coke

Apr 22, 2009
    Out of the three:

Digi-key
    Mouser
    newark

Which one is generally cheaper? I'm getting some capacitors off of Digi-Key and its going to cost $20 just to ship them to Canada, and the capacitors cost $5 lol

17. Ghar

Mar 8, 2010
    I haven't been able to stick to a single seller. One will have something for cheaper than the other, there's no clear victor.
    You might be able to choose based on shipping rates or something.

18. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    You can drive to the North-East corner of Toronto where Electrosonic, Active and Sayal have stores.
    A1 is in the West end of Toronto.

Staff in Sayal are from India and the parts are inexpensive surplus. I bought many ICs there and some excellent surplus name-brand switching power supplies for a very low price.

Although I buy from Digikey or Newark for most orders online (order before 8:00PM and it is delivered the next morning) it is nice to be able to see what you are buying from a local store.

19. zero_coke

Apr 22, 2009
    I know there is a store named "Active Surplus" which has a lot of this kind of stuff. I'm in Saskatchewan at the moment and I'm not sure if they have exactly the value of the capacitors and the dielectric material inside, etc. I think I'll get that stuff from digikey, and then buy the copper coils and multimeters and stuff from Active Surplus.

20. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    Active Surplus near downtown Toronto is a mess. They have many parts that are 40 and 50 years old. I bought some rare switches there for a low price.