What's a good website to order resistors, capacitors, power supplies, inductor coils?

zero_coke

Joined Apr 22, 2009
What's a good website to order this kind of stuff that is not too expensive and is located in USA or Canada?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
not too expensive
That is a subjective matter. The customs surcharge may be a killer, but Digi-Key and Mouser have a lot of depth in their stock.

We have Canadian members that can probably suggest suppliers up there.

zero_coke

Joined Apr 22, 2009
The only thing I get from Canada, is Canadian Club.
Is that a store or distributor of this sort of stuff I'm looking for? By the way, what is this stuff called anyway? Electronic components or circuit materials or what? I need the name so I can google some at the least hehe :)

zero_coke

Joined Apr 22, 2009
That's odd; they have no items of:

Film capacitor - polypropylene - 0.012 uF , 12V AC

Is it impossible to have this kind of capacitor or is it just not in stock?

eng1ne

Joined Dec 4, 2009
All capacitors have an AC rating; some are just not quoted.

What is your application? We might be able to suggest equivalent components.

zero_coke

Joined Apr 22, 2009
Well I need a low-loss capacitor for my LC circuit to wireless send power over 2-3 feet. I will be supplying AC signal at the natural frequency of the coil and capacitor, and will have another circuit with coil and capacitor and try to send power to it from the primary circuit.

zero_coke

Joined Apr 22, 2009
Might be listed as 12 nF, but you probably knew that.
Yes, I particularly searched for 12 nF capacitor, but I also checked off "AC voltage" in my search filter and this came up. Only reason I provided a link is because someone on here said that you can't use a capacitor with AC voltage, and I just wanted to verify if it can be or not. Can it?

zero_coke

Joined Apr 22, 2009
Out of the three:

Digi-key
Mouser
newark

Which one is generally cheaper? I'm getting some capacitors off of Digi-Key and its going to cost $20 just to ship them to Canada, and the capacitors cost $5 lol

Ghar

Joined Mar 8, 2010
I haven't been able to stick to a single seller. One will have something for cheaper than the other, there's no clear victor.
You might be able to choose based on shipping rates or something.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
You can drive to the North-East corner of Toronto where Electrosonic, Active and Sayal have stores.
A1 is in the West end of Toronto.

Staff in Sayal are from India and the parts are inexpensive surplus. I bought many ICs there and some excellent surplus name-brand switching power supplies for a very low price.

Although I buy from Digikey or Newark for most orders online (order before 8:00PM and it is delivered the next morning) it is nice to be able to see what you are buying from a local store.

zero_coke

Joined Apr 22, 2009
You can drive to the North-East corner of Toronto where Electrosonic, Active and Sayal have stores.
A1 is in the West end of Toronto.

Staff in Sayal are from India and the parts are inexpensive surplus. I bought many ICs there and some excellent surplus name-brand switching power supplies for a very low price.

Although I buy from Digikey or Newark for most orders online (order before 8:00PM and it is delivered the next morning) it is nice to be able to see what you are buying from a local store.
I know there is a store named "Active Surplus" which has a lot of this kind of stuff. I'm in Saskatchewan at the moment and I'm not sure if they have exactly the value of the capacitors and the dielectric material inside, etc. I think I'll get that stuff from digikey, and then buy the copper coils and multimeters and stuff from Active Surplus.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Active Surplus near downtown Toronto is a mess. They have many parts that are 40 and 50 years old. I bought some rare switches there for a low price.