What's a good / best / solid release of Firefox for Win XP?

tranzz4md

Joined Apr 10, 2015
Not to stir up a beehive or riot. I've got my most reliable, solid, useful toughbook with XPSP3,,, and dog-gone it, when it comes to Windows, I won't fix it - "if it ain't broke". (Hey I started Windows with 1.03!)

Unfortunately, some sites and pages aren't playing so nicely with Firefox 22.0,,,, anymore.

Watching the current 37.0 to 37.0.1 buzz is something I expect at every release. Without triggering an open-source marketing job, can anyone tell me a Rev. I should move to, and maybe a couple reasons why?

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
Not to stir up a beehive or riot. I've got my most reliable, solid, useful toughbook with XPSP3,,, and dog-gone it, when it comes to Windows, I won't fix it - "if it ain't broke". (Hey I started Windows with 1.03!)

Unfortunately, some sites and pages aren't playing so nicely with Firefox 22.0,,,, anymore.

Watching the current 37.0 to 37.0.1 buzz is something I expect at every release. Without triggering an open-source marketing job, can anyone tell me a Rev. I should move to, and maybe a couple reasons why?
There were a few bugs with version 37, but AFAIK they've been fixed in 37.0.1. There are several reasons why you should use a more recent version of Firefox than 22, which is almost two years old:
  • Features such as "Close tabs to the right", search box in new tab page, automatic malware scan of downloaded files, and Firefox Hello video chat have been added
  • Improvements such as better plugin safety, greater ease of updating on Windows, and rewrite of Firefox Sync have been made
  • Many security issues and bugs have been fixed, including HTTPS being made the default more often
  • Developer tools have been greatly enhanced
There are a few changes that you may not like, but they can easily be reverted:
  • The Australis (Chrome-like) interface has been switched to in version 29 (if you don't like it, you can use the Classic Firefox add-on)
  • Yahoo has become the default search engine for English users since version 33 (but it can be changed, of course)
I would recommend very strongly that you upgrade your version of Firefox. If you're hesitant to use the latest one, you could try the ESR (Extended Support Release), which is currently version 31.6.

Note: I looked at the Firefox release notes for all the major releases since 22 to get this information. Also, I am not a developer of Firefox and have no affiliation with Mozilla. And by the way, I use Firefox on WinXP as well (although I primarily use it on Win8.1 and Fedora Linux).

Last edited: