What you get for christmas ???

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I got a few of these great little MP3 players for approx $16 each;

One is mine, one for the wife (so she doesn't pinch mine), one to be permanently built into a rechargeable portable sound system I'm going to build.

They are pretty cool, all the songs are stored on a microSD card, and it has decent enough file handling to be able to have different genres of music in different folders. :)

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I guess so. I just got it because I prefer analog watches to rebel in a digital world.

And because it's pretty....
I wear analog watches because they are easier to read at a glance. If I know generally what time of day it is (say I have had lunch,) I can determine the time without my reading glasses.

On a side note, after I retired from corporate life, I taught 10th grade English for 5 years. You would be amazed at how many of my students would look at the analog clock in the room, and not know what time it was.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I wear analog watches because they are easier to read at a glance. If I know generally what time of day it is (say I have had lunch,) I can determine the time without my reading glasses.

On a side note, after I retired from corporate life, I taught 10th grade English for 5 years. You would be amazed at how many of my students would look at the analog clock in the room, and not know what time it was.
Or when I tell my students to wrap the wire "clockwise
" around the screw, they look at me kinda funny.....

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I think I can top that.

I was playing The Beatles - Yellow Submarine this morning as our safety meeting started. Several of the men(they are in their 30's) are of Hispanic descent and asked what I was playing. I told them, and they said 'who?'

The BEATLES. WHO is THAT? Talk about being sheltered and isolated from everything american for the entire 30 something years of their life.

I wasn't the only one laughing at the situation either :) They got ribbed pretty hard this morning for that.

If any of you late Xmas shoppers are still mulling over what to get for kids aged 7 to 70 years old, this little RC helicopter costs a mere $50, and is capable of flying up to an altitude 500 feet where it takes remarkably sharp video footage and still pictures, at the touch of a button on the controller.

http://www.rccontrolledcars.com/rc-...nel-2-4ghz-metal-rc-helicopter-w-video-camera

Bar none this UD1 13A RC coaxial-rotor helicopter is the least expensive aerial photography platform available on planet Earth, and, it is remarkably resilient, such that it will take to the air again after even the most brutal crashes, which sometimes become inevitable at the end of emergency descents from high altitude when the wind picks up.

Be warned that to get really high up, a wide, football-field sized launch site is essential for retrieval, because even the slightest breeze will start to drift your heli-cam away. Tape a tiny washer to the nose, so that you can get a more pronounced nose-down attitude for improved forward flight that will enable this tiny bird to maintain stable hover during light winds.

Merry Xmas y'all.

Attachments

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
That's the best price I've seen for those copters.
I'm starting my own spying program, filming every move the Gov makes.

Fair play.;)

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Well, I got sworn in as a Constable this week, so I'll get a shiny new badge. Around here they are basically like reserve deputies, we'll see how this goes.:eek::eek::eek:

Holy Mackerel Inwo, they went and added another $13 to the price.

I should have known better than to give a rave review of this product ha ha.

Anyway, even at the new price, which I sure hope isn't hiked again, this little coax heli is just a blast to fly. It is gyro-stablized and will return by default to a nice stationary hover even if you take your hands off the controls, making it way more forgiving than the average collective-pitch RC helicopter, which requires constant precise corrections to maintain hover.

I have flown this UDI 13A coax heli up so high it was little more than a speck, and the 3 mega-pixel camera produces crisp video footage from which I clip my stills. Now, any more of this enthusiastic talk and the price might be hiked some more, so I'd better stop.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Boy, I've seen a lot better copters below $63. It only has a 3mp camera?
I've seen one withe the same features for just $50 a few days ago.:D