What would you salvage from an old PC

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by adam555, Oct 25, 2013.

1. adam555

Thread Starter Active Member

Aug 17, 2013
    I have 2 very old PCs at home -both 8086- and I opened them a couple of times to see if I can find something to salvage in terms of electronic components. Apart from the logic ICs and the oscillators I can't seem to find anything else that could be using in my basic experiments; of course, disregarding resistors, capacitors, etc or Floppy / HD components like magnets and motors.

So, I'm wondering... what would you salvage from an 8086?

Is it even worth it; considering both are still in working order -though I don't use them and the chances of selling them at this stage are practically none-?

2. nigelwright7557

May 10, 2008
    I would sell it on ebay as a retro computer.
    Its pretty useless for modern software so would only be of interest to a collector.

3. bance

Aug 11, 2012
    I would also consider selling, retro computers are quite the rage, or hold on, in a few years time they will be rarer and more sought after.and thus more valuable! In terms of components I think audio amps and old test equipment are better for salvage......

HTH Steve

4. adam555

Aug 17, 2013
    Just had a look on ebay and can't find anyone else selling them (at least not when looking for "8086"). I think there were offering a couple of 8086 motherboards, but some sort of special stuff, not the regular PCs I have at home.

Not sure anyone would get to a price high enough to cover the P&P either -they are quite heavy-.

It's such a waste... they ware so expensive when I bought them.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Welcome to the modern age. Not only are they unlikely to have any value, they might cost you to dispose of them. Depends where you live.

The power supply might be useful for an electronics hobby lab bench. But you can find literally piles on old CPUs at an electronics recycling center, so they're not hard to get your hands on. More recent PSUs would have better power efficiency and more power.

6. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
  7. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Junk everything inside.

[​IMG]

8. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    The most useful part for me are the little female jumper headers that connect the the LED, RESET button, etc.

[​IMG]

9. Brian Griffin

May 17, 2013
    I have regretted disposing my 486 DX-33 PC - it wasn't something good even back then when Pentiums were introduced, but it served its purpose. I still keep some old computers like Pentium MMX and even a dual-Pentium III system.

If you can, save these PCs. Or, if you can sell or give it to a retro PC collector, he/she will be very grateful.:)

10. adam555

Aug 17, 2013
    Thought about converting the PSU, but it would only have any use for me if I could make it dual (+ and - voltages).

Jesus Christ, and that one comes with color monitor and keyboard!

Mine are without keyboard or monitor, and one of them even without the HD.

Good idea. :)

These are so old that don't have any of those connections; those came later for "clone" PCs.

Opened one again yesterday night, and the only parts that looked interesting were the logic ICs, oscillators, and HD/Floppy motors.

That's what's bothering me: maybe later on I regret dismantling them for just a couple of ICs or just giving them away for $3.

I also had at home a Sony MSX -that's a vintage computer that I imagine could have some value for collectors- but not these regular PCs that you can find in any electronic junk yard.

11. Brian Griffin

May 17, 2013
    Yeah, you should keep and preserve these things. They can get very rare much later in life too. I used to have an old AMD K6-2 PC, but again, regretted selling it. :cool:

12. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    My son is a computer engineering student. He just said he was looking for an old, old school computer to 'reverse engineer'. apparently, his professor suggested they track down and open up an 8088 or AppleII and identify each section on the motherboard and a list of other objectives.

13. adam555

Aug 17, 2013
    I sold a Commodore VIC-20 (my very first computer). Mind that the VIC-20 was not the popular Commodore 64; it was the previous one with just 3 Kbytes -you could fill the whole memory by just typing your own programs-.

I also regret selling it, but I needed the money to buy the MSX; so it seemed a good decision at the time.

In any case, I just saw them on ebay for $200 (new and boxed). I got that same money more than 20 years ago; and it was well used.

Not sure these 2 PCs will ever be sought after by collectors.

I would give him one for free if he came to pick it up; but I'm in the other side of the world.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  14. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Screws.

I'd keep the screws, toss the rest.

wayneh and BMorse like this.
  15. adam555

Aug 17, 2013
    That's actually not a bad idea; I'm always short of screws when upgrading my computers. :)

Seriously... Is there really nothing at all that can be re-used in small electronics projects?... Jesus, there are dozens of chips inside; some must be of some use!!!

Just taking into account the half a dozen logic ICs that I was able to identify, and considering the fact that they cost me around $1 each in an shop, I would be better off taking those from the PCs than selling it on ebay for $3.

Surely some of you would also find other ICs useful... can't you at least re-program and re-use the BIOS PICs, re-use the memory in other projects, whatever... I don't know; I'm just a beginner in electronics looking forward to play around with new components. Any ideas?

16. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    If there is anything in an IC socket, I would pull it out just to have it in a junk box. I wouldn't waste my time trying to desolder anything.

17. adam555

Aug 17, 2013
    I think only the BIOS and CPU are in sockets.

By the way; are those BIOS and other programmable chips reusable as microcontrollers or are they just like memory?

18. Brian Griffin

May 17, 2013
    I would want one, but again, I'm on the SE Asia. Shipping is real expensive. :eek I wasn't born on the 8086 era and I'm pretty curious on how those old stuff works. :)

19. adam555

Aug 17, 2013
    As I said to GopherT: I would gladly give you one for free... if you could pick it up. I'm definitely not going to package and carry one of those to the post office; not even for the $3 I would get for it on ebay. :)

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I like the tantalum capacitors in old mother boards and dead hard drives. They are often worth $3 to $6 in todays market.