What would this switch be called?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by RudyBega, Jun 26, 2013.

1. RudyBega

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 26, 2013
    I need a switch to replace the "switch" in an antique telephone. I've converted it by using the guts of a WE550 phone but I want to use the old hookswitch.

I'm a bit lost when it comes to terms like SPDT and DPDT. (I kinda understand them tho.)

What I'm looking for is a momentary switch (you push it, it springs back). Now here's what I need but cannot define...

Consider letters (A, B, C) as wires...
    NOT PUSHED
    A - B CLOSED
    C - D OPEN
    E - F OPEN

PUSHED
    A - B OPEN
    C - D CLOSED
    E - F CLOSED

Is there a switch that will do this? Does it have a name I can google to find one? My apologies for butchering the jargon. :confused:

2. Ramussons

May 3, 2013
    3 pole 2 way push button switch

Ramesh

3. LDC3

Apr 27, 2013
    A triple pole, double throw (TPDT) switch will work. But it might be easier to find a 4-pole, double throw (4PDT) switch.

RudyBega likes this.
  4. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    It might be easier to use a SPDT or SPST microswitch (which take very little force to operate) controlled by the hook and use its output to control a 4PDT relay that switches the three wires. Just remember to put a reverse biased diode across the relay coil to suppress the coil transient spike and avoid burning the microswitch's contacts.

RudyBega likes this.
  5. RudyBega

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 26, 2013
    "Sometimes I wonder...why is that frisbee getting bigger...and then it hits me!"

When I read LDC3's post, my first thought was, "no no no...I don't want a DT swi....hang on..." Then I realized I don't HAVE to use all the contacts...just the ones that are (or are not) switched at the appropriate times. It's crazy what happens when you finally "get it."

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Now, Zapper's reply was interesting as that's something else I was possibly interested in doing but my horrendous lack of skill in all things electrical stopped me short. I know that there's power coming in on the phone line. I have no clue how much power (amps, volts, other things that are not amps or volts). But enough power to run a switch that could then power a relay? I think so...but again I'll be pointing to my horrendous lack of skill in all things electrical.

I will endeavor to study this more...unless you know off the top of your head the size/spec of the "reverse biased diode across the relay coil" is.

Thank you all again! You have given me much hope in completing this project!

-Rudy