what would happen if?

andy73

Joined Sep 26, 2007
hi all,

im still getting my head round electronics and i have a question that i imagine is really simple but i just cant work it out.

if i have two battey packs, the first (A) is 10.83v @ 6.6a and the second (B) is 43.3v @ 3.3a

my question is what would happen is i connect both pos ends together and then both neg terminals?

would i get 43.3v @ 6.6a, or would it just go bang!!

i havent done this yet and wanted to ask someone with more experiance of this first, the idea of batteries going bang is not good

cheers and sorry for the stupid question

Andy73

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

When you connect the 43.3 Volt battery parallel to the 10.83 Volt battery,
there will be a very large current flowing from the 43 volt battery to the 10 Volt battery
that is only restricted by the internal resistance of the batteries.
This will probably blow both batteries.

Greetings,
Bertus

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

During the proces the batteries will get very hot and probably blow apart with hot pieces.
This can be a little bit different depending on the type of batteries.

Greetings,
Bertus

andy73

Joined Sep 26, 2007
hi SgtWookie,

im making a model boat but i have 2 different batteries as discribed, and i want to put in a bigger motor. the new motor needs 36v @ 6a to run at top performance, i just wanted to see if i could get away with the batteries i have or should i just buy 3 x 12v @ 6ah bats and conect them in series?

if i do the 3 bat way i will have to extend the hull a little, so i thought i would see if i could just conect the two i have together and run the motor.

cheers

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
You will need the three 12V batteries in series. Either that or use some form of voltage regulation and the single 43.3V battery. The 10V battery should be stored away for some other project in the future.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Even with a regulator, the 43v battery can only supply 3.3A, and your motor requires 6A @ 36V.

I agree with the recommendation that you will need to go with three 12V batteries.