what would be the problem??

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by electronicsunzz, Feb 20, 2010.

1. electronicsunzz

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    I bought a new audio amplifier in our car. its of pioneer company. I connected 4 speakers(EACH 6 OHMS) to 4 output ports 2 for front and 2 for rear.It has a maximum volume up to 62 and the problem is, it is been operating well up to volume around 40. If i cross 40 + the out put sound is being breaking. And if i reach 55+ no sound is heard ..but i want to hear hard bass and maximum voice .. but the amplifier is not permitting me to exceed 40+ volume.

My point of view is, the fault is either with the "OPERATING POINT OF TRANSISTOR " or the speakers with i have connected(may be not suited) . What would be the problem?? and how to come of this problem so that i should hear music at maximum sound (i.e volume 62) with out any breakage. please consider my question ... and instruct me the rite suggestion...
  2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    What are you using for a signal to the amp? Are you using the speaker output from the radio or are you using the RCA from the radio?

If it is not rated for 6 ohm speakers, you could be overheating the amp at higher levels. A thermal cut off or over-amperage cut off is probably to blame. You may need a few resistors between the output and the speakers.
    What is the model number of the amp?
  3. nfhiggs

Dec 15, 2009
    AS a former dealer and installer of high end car audio equipment, I can tell you there is probably nothing wrong with your equipment. Pioneer is a well known brand but they are not known for being exceptionally powerful.

The amplifier is simply being overdriven. You need start out by turning the amplifier gain adjustment all the way down. Then turn the stereo's volume up until the sound begins to distort, and then back it off a bit until its clear again. Now you will have the maximum undistorted level going into the amplifier. Now adjust the amplifiers gain control upward until the sound begins to distort again, then back it off until its clear.

Once you have made these adjustments you will have the maximum potential sound from your equipment.

It sounds like you are using the stock speakers in the car. If so, you are VERY limited in what you can get from those speakers. If you want 'hard bass' you are going to need to install a dedicated subwoofer and separate amplifier for it.
  4. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    My Chevrolet car came with a factory installed Pioneer sound system upgrade that is excellent.
    The powerful 6 x 9 speakers on the rear shelf are 2 ohms, it has two powerful door speakers and component tweeters. It has a powerful 10" subwoofer in the trunk.
    I have never turned it up loud enough for it to distort.
  5. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    One thing I have learned is that pioneer makes great radio tuners (the Super Tuner's) but when it come to audio amps, they suck!

What model amplifier did you get? How many (RMS) watts is it rated for?

I have a Pioneer Receiver in my truck, I have that powering 4 Sony Explode speakers (each rated at 250 watts), 2 X 5-1/4" round in the front doors and 2 - 4" x 6" in the rear cab doors (for the Mids and some highs), I then have a couple of 200 watt 1" neodymium tweeters for the highs mounted on the top corner post of the windshield and I have 2 12" 1600 Watt Lanzar subwoofers for the lows (BASS!!) that are driven by a separate 2600 watt 2 channel Pyramid amplifier......