What will happen if a transformer is operated in higher frequency?

etech7

Joined Jun 9, 2015
I am interested to know that what happens to a transformer when operated in higher frequency? How the characteristics will change accordingly? Volt, apm, power, ratio, losses, power factor etc...

Thanks in advance.

Regards~
Rashad

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A 50 Hz power transformer connected to 60 Hz will just run cooler.
A 60 Hz power transformer connected to 50 Hz is in risk of magnetic saturation and thus overheating.
From your question, we can't tell if you're trying to use a 455KHz transformer at 100 MHz.
Serious lack of information in the question results in serious lack of information in the answer.

etech7

Joined Jun 9, 2015
A 50 Hz power transformer connected to 60 Hz will just run cooler.
A 60 Hz power transformer connected to 50 Hz is in risk of magnetic saturation and thus overheating.
From your question, we can't tell if you're trying to use a 455KHz transformer at 100 MHz.
Serious lack of information in the question results in serious lack of information in the answer.
Say frequency is double that of the rated frequency. 50 hz to 100hz and 455khz to 1Mhz.
when transformer core is saturated then there will no back emf hence it will draw much current. is that why the transformer operated at low freq produces heat? it also implies that when we intend to transform a given amount of power through transformer adequate core disign also requires.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
double. if we double the frequency how will change it's parameters. I think operating voltage will be high probably power also. if it is then how? what will be the other affects take place?
The eddy current core losses will be higher (double I think).
The maximum operating voltage will approximately double.
The maximum amps remain the same.
The maximum power will also double since the voltage has doubled.
The turns ratio and voltage ratios don't change.
The power factor is very low in a power transformer and will change little with frequency.