What were you doing at the age of 24?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mitko89, Jul 29, 2014.

1. mitko89

Thread Starter Member

Sep 20, 2012
    I'm currently a technical writer for one of the bigger consumer electronics companies in my country. Recently I earned my master in Electronics. I know I have some gaps to fill, but I have 2 years of experience as a test engineer, few months as firmware developer and soon to be an year as a tech writer. Technical writing is something I can deal with without much of an effort, but it's boring to me, yet when I compare myself with the hardware designers in the company I see the experience gap. As for the firmware, I can manage, but my lack of true experience (haven't implemented OS, CANs and stuff in professional projects) draws me behind... Could some of you give me a piece of advice on what to do get myself relevant for a good positions as embedded system programmer? I mean, shall I create a project portfolio or something like that? I'm 24 and already see people expecting 2+ years of professional experience for any position ... I feel stucked.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    At 24, in 1977, I was approaching my fifth year in the U.S. Coast Guard. I was a First Class Petty Officer in the Electronics Technician rating, advanced to that grade one month before my birthday. That summer I transferred from the overhaul and repair shop in Brooklyn, New York to the Loran Station at Simeri Crichi, Italy. As the ET1, where I supervised the other ETs in the repair and maintenance of the equipment to achieve the requisite usability (99.7% or better) of our part of the Mediterranean Loran-C chain.

3. mitko89

Thread Starter Member

Sep 20, 2012
    That is pretty impressive Joe. You sure have shown your talent. Did you study Electronics in the Highschool? I graduated from a foreign language high school and my first contacts with electronics were at the college. I was 5 years behind from the tech guys from day one...

4. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    I went to what was a vocational HS that was renamed Delcastle Vocational-Technical HS. I studied radio and tv servicing, back when it was cost effective to actually repair sets. My sophomore summer, I spent working for one company doing in home service calls. My junior and senior year I worked full time in the evenings maintain the studios of a local radio station as well as engineering the remote broadcasts.

The best part of my HS was the senior year where we went to school two weeks and worked the other two weeks and repeated that cycle. That two weeks I worked became a break for me as I worked every weekday evening from 6 pm to 1 am, in school or not.

5. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    at 24, I was working for an avionics test equipment manufacturer here in wichita, ks. I had been in 3 years of the army, 2 years of wichita technical institute, and the high school I went to didnt even teach electricity. I had my technician ham liscense before starting at wti, as well as my second class tadio telephone liscense. I worked my way through wti in small machine shops and fixing tv's and stereos.

6. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    At 24, I was programming a proprietary database and its search engine. This is in the days before Oracle and DB2. I had studied mathematics in college and also computer science. I had a knack for programming algorithms, which led me to computers as a career. I was also dabbling in digital electronics at the time. Most importantly, it was when I met my future wife.

7. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    At 24, I was an engineer with 15 year of amateur experience, and 7 years as a professional -- hardware and software.

panic mode likes this.
  8. mitko89

Thread Starter Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Oh my :eek:

9. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

At age 24 (30 years ago) I was doing an intership at rijkswaterstaat.
    I had to do the maintenance on weather measuring buoy.
    I also had to do some programming to read the data from the bouy.
    This was done using an epson hx20 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epson_HX-20 ).

Bertus

10. Millbo

Aug 16, 2013
    At 24 I was in the middle east with the gulf war. What a joy that was...
    Parents couldn't afford collage so Uncle Sam here I come.

joeyd999,
    I love that quote below your post, that is so true.

11. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I was in graduate school expecting to be drafted to serve in Vietnam.

John

12. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    At 24 I had 13 years electronics under my belt, had been repairing electronics goods professionally for 9 years and had started a "proper" repair shopfront 2 years earlier.

I had played with microcontrollers, hobby computers and programming for 9 years and was now getting hard into PCs, had a couple of years of dbase4 database programming for business apps and a couple of years of TurboC for dos for the PC platform.

I was also running a mail order bodybuilding supplements business and was writing my first book on the subject.

13. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    At 24 I was flat broke. I just earned a BS degree in an area I didn't want (I wanted to be an EE but family issues kept me at a local state school without an engineering program). I started that year with a freshly minted degree in secondary education with a biology / chemistry emphasis. My student teaching gig had become a long-term substitute position - I thought things were going well. My gig ended unexpectedly when the ill permanent teacher suddenly took well. Just before I defaulted on a student loan, I called an elderly professor from Washington State University who visited my college a year earlier and gave me a standing offer as a research assistant. He eventually helped me get into a grad school closer to my troubled family. I met my wife mid-way through that year and was married by the end of the year. Still married and still working in the chemical industry. I never planned to be a chemist - 24 was the age of my turning point. Interesting you would ask about 24.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Right out of High School, I slept through one year of (Howard W.) Sams Technical Institute, now called, "ITT Technical Institute" because I had already taught myself most of their curriculum. I parlayed that alleged education into 3 years of fixing TV's and 2 years of appliance repair, including refrigeration. Then I moved to California and worked as Q.C. in a precision analog meter factory for a year which qualified me for free tuition at the 2 year "junior" colleges in California. At 24, in my second year of College, I changed from senior engineer at a power supply company to repairing and calibrating automatic industrial lasers.

After that, I wasn't 24, so,

end of list

15. mitko89

Thread Starter Member

Sep 20, 2012
    I ask about it because it's my age now. I just wondered how far have people gone on that age. In my country there are so few guys with premises for a serious career at my age. From what I see, if you have had the interest in enigneering from very young age = you have reached some achievements till that age, if you started later = well,...
    My generation (at least in my country) is weird. Young engineers are not motivated at all, college teachers are generally disapointed from this lack of motivation and get demotivated themselves.

16. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Time to leave Sophia and find a new country with a more stimulating atmosphere. Australia, USA, anywhere in Asia (almost), UK or Germany (and likely many more) offer opportunity and motivation.

A good friend of mine is from Romania and works in the US. He left when he was 30 to do Graduate school in Germany and then work in the US. You have plenty of time. But the longer you stay in a demotivated area, the more demotivated you will become. Even leave for a few years and bring your motivated self back to Sophia and start something new.

17. mitko89

Thread Starter Member

Sep 20, 2012
    GopherT,
    If I go to the US (I need green card for that = almost impossible) with bulgarian education, I won't even get a job as a technicion. My brother is a PHD student in Georgetown DC and he told me I have close to no chance to work in the US. I am currently looking for job opportunities in the UK, but the application process seems hard (I have applied for 20 positions and no results yet). At the moment, I am trying to fill my gaps in knowledge (I am not a spectacular student; I just know the basics, I'm pretty handy in finding information and not lazy) and hope some employer will give me chance...

18. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Germany has a pretty open immigration policy. English is as good as German in most companies there and they are afraid of an engineering shortage. I've heard of lots of French able to find jobs at the German manufacturing companies lately - and they can't speak English or German!

19. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    At 24 in 1972, working at Sycor Inc., we had just released our first product using the Intel 8008 with the clock running at the blinding speed of 487.5 kHz. It was an emulation of the IBM 3270 terminal called the Sycor 250, and the Library of Congress made a substantial initial purchase. It was all done in assembly language since the C language was not yet in the wild.

mitko89 likes this.
  20. mitko89

Thread Starter Member

Sep 20, 2012
    GopherT,
    I was thinking of learning German, but prefer to improve in my field first and my brother is now looking for job in London (he is an economist). UK seem a better option for the moment considering those factors. Yet Germany is always an option. I need few months to see how the things turn out and then act accordingly.