What type wire to use from transfer switch to outdoor outlet

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by brjl, Dec 1, 2009.

1. brjl

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    I have installed a Connecticut Electric transfer switch for my generator (7500 watt) to my breaker panel and now I want to run wire from the switch 60 feet inside the house and hook up to an outlet (30 amp) that will be attached to an exterier wall of the house. I have purchase a rain tight outlet box, the only thing I need to do is run the wire into the back of it from the basement.
    The question is, I purchased 10/3 NM-B with ground wire, the wire has a white, black, red, and un-cased ground. Would this be the correct wire to use? I had the impression that I needed 10/4 wire, with the ground wire cased,(green) but the Home Depot person stated that since this is an interior installation, that the 10/3 is what I need. Is the 10/3 wire correct? The transfer swich has a red, black, white and green wire to hook to.

Thanks for any help.
  2. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    You have the correct wire, however with the 2008 NEC code change you cannot run the nm cable outdoors. If the box is surface mounted on the outside wall and is fed from the back, with no nm cable exposed to the weather you'll be ok.
  3. brjl

Dec 1, 2009

Thanks for the help, the box will be surface mounted.

4. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    Before you use this setup, you may want to:

1. Get a licensed electrician to inspect it.

2. Get a building permit for it (even if it's not required) and have the city's inspectors inspect the installation.

I would do this if I were installing such a thing because you could accidentally put someone in danger (e.g. a power company person working on the power transmission lines) if you somehow backfed the generator's power to the distribution power transformer.

Of course, the person working on the lines will protect themselves from such hazards by appropriate grounding -- but I'd hate to have to explain to a widow or widower why my faulty installation caused the death of their spouse in some one-in-a-million chance accident.
  5. brjl

Dec 1, 2009
    I had the understanding that by using a transfer switch, the problem with backfeeding the line is not present, make sense?