What type of transformer is this?

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by electronice123, Dec 22, 2008.

1. electronice123

Thread Starter Senior Member

Oct 10, 2008
    http://www.bakatronics.com/images/MX028s.jpg

Can someone tell me what kind of transformer this is? The windings are seperated into multiple sections to create a capacitance that multiplies within each section to create a high voltage.

What is this type of transformer called?
    Where can I find more info on this type of transformer?
    Are there any books on this type of transformer?

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  3. leftyretro

Nov 25, 2008
    Wow, what a content rich site that seems to be, thanks, anymore like that?

http://www.educypedia.be/electronics/electronicaopening.htm

Lefty

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    That is an E core ferrite form, but is there more than one winding? How many wires run to the coils?

6. electronice123

Thread Starter Senior Member

Oct 10, 2008
    I am not sure.

I have seen this type of transformer before, but I can never seem to find out what it's actutally called. With this type of transformer it's not the turns ratio that gives the high voltages, it's the capacitance within each bobbin cavity multiplying with the adjacent cavity.

Very strange indeed, and capable of very high voltages!

I've heard it called a capacitance load driver transformer, But I don't think that's the official name for it, as whenever I try to look it up I never find it.

7. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Those 6 capacitors and three diodes to the right of the coil/transformer look like a voltage multiplier.

Look at the other side of the PCB and see how many pads associate with the device in question. Two pads and it's a coil. Four or five, and it's a transformer.

Better yet, draw out the circuit and post it up.

8. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    On my monitor, the wire in the bottom coil is a darker orange and appears to be heavier gage. So, it appears at least two coils. That type of segmented winding for the secondary is common in HV transformers.

9. DrNick

Dec 13, 2006
    It is probably a flyback transformer. There is massive insulation on the coils to prevent breakdown. As you stated a flyback transformer doesn't get it's voltage SOLELY from turns ratio. It also produces high voltages by having a large dI/dt. As we all know,

V = L * dI/dt

so, if dI/dt is large, a huge voltage is produced that is proportional to the inductance. It appears that the inductance is set to remain linear by gapping the center tap.

This seem to make sense? This is just guess work on my part...

Oh yeah,

Another indicator that it is probably a flyback is the output diode to rectify the secondary. The normal mode of operation of a flyback is that you charge the inductance of the primary (because the diodes block the secondary from producing forward current), and when the primary is opened, the flyback energy is transfered to the secondary and conducted through the output diodes.

10. S_lannan

Jun 20, 2007
    i always thought the sectioned bobbin in these hv transformers was to stop the windings flashing over because of the high potential differences...

11. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  12. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    S lannan, the core is sectioned to facilitate assembly. The coils are wound on plastic bobbins and the core is placed afterward. The core only handles magnetic flux, so it is the insulation on the wires and the plastic bobbin that is subjected to voltage.