What type of LED driver is this

Nikola Brajkovic

Joined Aug 6, 2016
Hey, im new to electrical engineering. I started out with an arduino but left the kit out of state. In the mean time I thought it would be fun to build a high powered led torch and I purchased 2 led kits off of ebay. However these led driver that come with it. I cant wrap my head around them.

It says the minimum volts to power the led are 85 volts and I dont get why there are two of the same cables on one side. Is it meant to draw power from 2 sources and the other side is the output? Theres no further information on the model.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That's called a switching supply. The two, "same" red wires are where you connect the input power labeled as 85 to 265 volts (AC RMS). That means, "plug it into the wall outlet". The brown wire and the white wire on the other end are the output wires.

Nikola Brajkovic

Joined Aug 6, 2016
Thank you very much. Your knowledge is really appreciated. Me and my friend looked like a bunch of noobs debating over what we thought it was for, but neither of us were certain. Thanks again.

Nikola Brajkovic

Joined Aug 6, 2016
Thank you, Im able to find to find this model now. Out of curiosity, if I were to ever use this, would I wire it up the way I have in the image? While thinking about it I realized its going to have an extra positive cable thats sticking out which isnt being used. In theory I believe that should be fine because the other cable is being used in a circuit which makes this one redundant.

Also, im not going to be using this led driver, i ordered a seperate step up component to help me connect it to a lithium remote control car battery but Id still like to expand my knowledge and understand things.

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
NO.
Why would you short the power wires together? Do you think you can plug just one into a wall outlet and it will run?
Why do you think it has an extra positive cable? Can't you see the markings on the board that say, "+" and "-"?

It's 2 wires in and two wires out. Two for power and 2 for load.
Where have you ever seen a wall plug with only one prong?

Nikola Brajkovic

Joined Aug 6, 2016
Lol im glad I didnt plug it in. Im over thinking things, the side with the red cables don't have any markings for - or + so in my mind I thought they were power input I understand that sounds really obscene now that I think about it but my logic was that the led drivers visible + output would go to the fans + input (because ac is in reverse right?) and then the - side would go back along down to the outlet cable.

Thank you for saving me from shorting it.

Nikola Brajkovic

Joined Aug 6, 2016
Edit. I hope this is all making sense. Im a little bit tired right now but the redundent cable in my mind would of been the - coming out the led driver (black cable)