What to implement for gaining experience in control loop?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I intend to gain hands-on experience in control loops (of the PID type). At this stage, op amps to be used.

I am looking for suggestions (the easiest / simplest / cheapest / quickest) on two concrete points:

1) a "plant" that I could implement on my bench.

2) way of tracking ( eventually recording) set point - system output - error - time. If things go not too fast, I guess I could do it manually but not really sure.

After reading a lot, starting with Bob Pease, I concluded that something related to temperature control or motor speed are the best candidates. Have read about a pendulum but sounds complex to start with so I discarded it already.

Suggestions appreciated.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
A thermal system is a really easy choice.
Get a nice big aluminum heatsink, bolt some big power resistors to it (heaters) and attach a temp sensor.

You can play around with fans and such to change the characteristics of the 'plant'.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
if controling a motor, you need a form of feedback for rpm. a tach generator, or rotary scale. the rotary scale could also be used to control the position of the motor shaft. then the usual comparator and amplifier.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Thanks to you all for replying.

I decided to go the temperature-control way. Simpler to start. Now, I am implementing the sensor/s (DS1820) Dearly expensive but available. >8USD ea!!! Nice country this, eh?

Something I do not know how to manage yet: say I want to fix the setpoint for 30ºC. What I will be having is just a pot able to span from +XxV to -XxV. How to make voltage there to correspond to actual 30ºC (or whatever)?

Is much easier to say I am working on a certain temperature range than a certain voltage range, otherwise I risk to be confused. Any simple idea to solve this?

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hola Max,

I cannot quote your message. :(

I tried the MIT site but found impossible to spot them. Too much offer and I seem to lack the magic words to do the right search. Maybe I will reread Bob Pease even twice again. :D