What spice program do you use / recommend?

ld50

Joined Jul 25, 2011
Hello all!

I'm a lowly newbie with this stuff and I'm trying to use SPICE. Is it very useful or do many stick to pen&paper / something else? The program I'm trying to use is gEDA suite on linux but wondering if I'm using it wrong :confused: or should just use something else.

Any advice welcome!

Robert.Adams

Joined Feb 16, 2010
I tried gEDA for a long time but it is nowhere near as nice as using PSPICE in OrCAD (which is used in my company and various other companies in industry).

Since it is too expensive for me to have at home, I tend to stick to paper and pencil and some multisim or MATLAB simulink if I get stuck. I use KiCAD for PCB layout.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I've never tried gEDA, so don't know what to tell you. It's pretty nice to have something like that where you might actually be able to contribute to the cause.

I've been using LTSpice under Windows. It works on Unix under wine.
It comes with quite a few of Linear Technology's products modeled, and there are a smattering of other types of devices (transistors, capacitors, inductors, etc) that were built using that mfgr's specifications.
You can add your own models/symbols if you would like.
It doesn't handle digital as well as analog. There is no support for IBIS models, just PSpice.
The download page is here:
http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/
You don't have to fill in your information if you don't want to.